Rain tarp ideas

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by IIII2O, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Hi, I have (6) 30 gallon tote bins for my planters this year and I'm hoping to grow monsters. But there's no way I'm able (or want) to move them when it rains. Doesn't matter moving them under the deck anyway because it leaks just as bad.

So, I have my tubs in the yard and they are staying put. My idea is to get a couple long garden stakes and place one in the dirt on both ends of the tub. Then I was thinking of getting some clear painter's plastic sheeting to make a rain shield that will still let the light in. I found the sheeting at HD 12'x400' for only $25.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Let me know what you think or if there is a better solution. Thanks

3. Why would you even want to block rain water from watering your plants anyway? If someone has told you that you can't use it, they're terribly wrong. Rain water is the greatest because it means YOU don't have to carry water to your monsters. We have rain barrels placed in the eaves around our house. I used it on my outdoor plants last year along with the rain watering them. They were in 5 gallon buckets....which is plenty enough soil to grow a "monster" plant, and each grew between 7 and 8' in height and we ended up harvesting around 7-8 pounds off four plants. A little FYI here: Confining the amount of soil that the plant has to root into, means it puts it's energy into growing foliage and not growing roots. It always creates the root system first and until that is finished, the foliage just sits there and waits. When the roots are formed, the foliage will pick back up and grow again. It sort of works like a big beautiful bushy fern. If you'll stop and look inside one, you'll see that they are always root bound to the hilt....thus the bushy foliage. Works the same way with these. However, a root bound plant requires more attention....water and feed, since the soil isn't holding all that for you. I don't know how much you're trying to end up with, but not too many people can smoke 7-8 pounds in a season. LOL We sure didn't. We sold a bunch of it and still have a bunch of it left and it is excellent, Grade A, premium smoke. Don't be afraid of the rain. Let it in!! TWW

4. You're probably on the right track with the plastic. You'll want to make sure you get proper heavy-duty stuff, and you will probably want to put some thought into keeping the ends of the posts from being able to tear holes in the plastic. Wind will also be a potential issue; it sucks to make a beautiful shelter over your plants only to have it blown down and crushing them instead of protecting them. Strategic slit points in the plastic would be a likely solution. I don't know the shape of the area you're working with, but more than two posts might be a good idea, and of course you have to make sure water doesn't pool on top of the plastic and weigh it down onto the plants. I wish you luck,

5. We have hard rain at the end of the season and I got bud rot last year. Just trying to prevent it. Damn.

6. Thanks- yeah I found good sheeting and I think 4 stakes would be better huh...

7. Any other ideas? Maybe something pre made? Bump

8. Bump