rain and freezing temps coming, should i harvest?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by MN_northernherb, Oct 2, 2012.

1. #1 MN_northernherb, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
    Situation:

weather forecast:

Tues: (high/low) 71F/44F sunny
    wed: 77/48 mostly sunny
    thurs: 52/35 30% chance of showers
    fri: 51/33 mostly cloudy
    sat: 48/27 partly cloudy
    beyond(next 4 days): mid-upper 50s/upper 30s partly cloudy

Plants:

Barney farms lsd (est. finish late sept-early oct)
    Barney farms sweet tooth (est. finish mid oct)
    Dinafem power kush (est. finish early oct)
    DNA silver bubble (est. finish mid oct)

all plants are 100% cloudy- 95% cloudy/5% amber

*it wont let me upload images directly (says upload failed) but i was able to get the pictures into a gallery here: MN_northernherb Gallery - Marijuana Pictures, Photos & Videos - Grasscity.com Media Gallery

sorry the quality is poor, the only camera i have is on my phone...

Should I harvest given the forecast?

i feel like all the plant want 1-2 more weeks but i'm thinking i dont really have a choice...

2. honestly if they are outdoors and you have a small shower it will be all good it will rinse the buds off and give them about three days to dry out, don't pull them early let em go a little longer and get that extra weight the finally quality will be well worth the extra 10 days or so.

bet it doesn't even rain, the weather people are so wrong they said it was actually raining in my area the other morning and it was 67 degrees i was like I don't see any rain lol

3. do you think its worth it to leave them out there even with the temps dropping to 27 on saturday and then being less than 60 for the next couple of days? will they even grow?

i'd like to leave them out there but i'm worried their going to die, turn black and then i'm going to lose everything...

4. Yea i would let em go until that night its supposed to freeze. And even then you could put a garbage bag over em n they will be fine. I know a light frost is really good for hearty strains but i always grow b seed and ive gotten burnt tryin that so i wont do it again until i have a strain that can withstand it. Are they close to bein done?

5. #5 MN_northernherb, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
    the lsd looks dang close to done, the sweet tooth is pretty darn close too. but the power kush and silver bubble want 1-1.5 more weeks. (i stressed the shit out of the power kush it was suppose to be done by now)

maybe i'll pull the lsd and sweet tooth and leave the other 2 out there.

if they freeze is it game over? will they be ruined? black unsmokeable buds? popped/destroyed resin glands?

or could i just check on them the next day and pull them if their dead?

6. some strains can take it and some cant. yeah if frost hits, and that plant cant handle it you might as well throw it in a ditch. wont be much count. let em go til the day its supposed to freeze and see if the weather changes. weather men are wrong all the time anyway.

7. I live in the deep south, so I really don't have a ton of exp. with having plants out in persistent cold. I did set out an indoor mother plant once(Skunk x Lights #5), and she sat through at least 6 frosts with no trouble. She purpled up bigtime and the smoke was awesome. Also, I've grown many late sativas that have sat through upper 20's weather uncovered and were fine. Take into account though, that where I live it could be 32F at sunrise and 74F by 2 in the afternoon. If it stays nasty cold and temps not getting over 50F, I'd say they aren't goin to do much more.

8. alright, thanks for the input blades. i feel that they are all in the harvestable range (though the pk and sb are just entering), and i dont want to risk loosing the pk and sb for another week-1.5 weeks of upper 50 degree temps. so i'm going to pull them all saturday (assuming the overnight low doesnt miraculously change). by saturday they will all have gotten a full 7 day flush and there is enough bud out there for me to smoke til next season:smoke:

thanks,

+rep for you.