raid Detain Is Now The Standard Procedure For Internet Trash-Talk?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Swills, Aug 20, 2014.

1. #1 Swills, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
    Just another story about a SWAT raid. This case starts with the internet and a message forum. Someone posts on the forum that the police better watch out because they have explosives (made in America!). Well, when the police department in question got a hold of this information they went right into action. By action, did they do any actual police work? You know, investigating the residence, maybe a stake out, perhaps a knock and greet? 

Nah, once they got the IP address of the poster they donned their military style SWAT gear and smashed a glass door and "detained" and 18 year old girl and her grandmother. Turns out the internet tough guy was their neighbor, 31 year old man, who accessed their unprotected wireless internet via his smart phone. The same SWAT team later raided his parents home and the FBI later arrested him (story). Let that be a lesson to anyone who hasn't password protected their wireless router. 

The real slap in the face is the end of the story where the grandmother describes the police high fiving each other on an obvious job well done. 

But seriously, how hard would it have been to do some kind of investigation other than getting an address? When did real police work cease to exist? If you're gonna go after every online user because they made a baseless, anonymous ,threat without doing an proper investigation then your calendar is gonna be full with raids and lawsuits. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpbm2Xq7tJM

The good news is, obviously, a lawsuit have been filed. 

See video of the raid here.

Swat Team Raids Innocent Womans Home Lawsuit Filed

http://youtu.be/scMJyGlsv0w

2. And who will front the money for the settlement once the PD is sued?

Rhetorical question. There is no justice in the justice system when the oppressed must be held financially liable for the actions of their oppressors.

3. Just saying, they can't afford to not take threats seriously. This should be expected if anyone posts such things anywhere.

Its like saying you have a bomb at the airport. Its just dumb.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #4 Swills, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
    I'm all for a proper investigation. These cops aren't the only ones who take online threats seriously, the Secret Service are always very busy investigating threats but they're not breaking down doors and raiding the wrong houses. They do actual detective work unlike these jackasses in the OP. It's all to common to read about another SWAT raid gone wrong. 

The scary part is, the SWAT teams rarely are held accountable for their actions. In this case, these heroes were priding themselves on how well they shattered the glass door. They congratulate failure with high fives. 

5. well therein lies the rubble; if they are above the law and know that no one is going to hold them responsible, they become intoxicated with power, that kind of unchecked behavior fucks with the psyche, " I am a God, these people are my subjects, I can do what ever I want"
    but again we have to look at the core of these issues, where do these cops come from? they live in and around the same place as you or i, they grow up here, its the duty of us the civilians to educate our selves and those around us, so that this becomes shitty history in the future, if we dont learn we repeat, it doesnt get anymore clearer than that.
    people who are growing up around you right now, this moment, will one day become cops, some will even become part of the swat teams,  if we werent so isolated from our selves and each other, and communicated better and more openly as a society, this kind of thing would just stop, eventually.

6. a lot of times when talking about cops and or civilians, its becomes (from both sides) a "they vs us" situation, and we have to stop that mentality, were all humans, and its easy to lose track of that when dealing with confrontational situations, and cops deal with that a lot on a daily basis, I am not trying to excuse them or justify their atrocious actions, but we have to look at these situations realistically, and that means, trying to see things from another's point of view, and consider why is that person acting the way they do.

7. Teach those bitches to secure their wireless.

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

8. Cops aren't humans, they're pigs silly . ;)

9. Excellent post! It works well with your sig:)

10. What if we could do a background check on every cop, particularly those involved in shootings and other violations of right upon citizens?

And we discovered that maybe half of those, when we looked real close, had no real past where they were supposed to. Kinda like Obama, but weirder. Like no one ever heard of their family in the street where they grew up, no schools had records of them where they were supposed to have been educated, and none of the people they were supposed to have gone to school with remembered them?

What if we found out that they actually wanted us to think of them as pigs, because then they could justify shooting us or grossly violating our rights?

11. I do not know of a police force that does not do background checks. It is part of the reason they have a hard time finding suitable candidates. 

12. #12 CrunkJuice2, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014

ya,who would of thought blaming george w bush turned out to be worthless in protecting their rights and stuff.sadly most americans still dont get it

13. Heil Hitler! Death to those who speak ill of the Fatherland!