radio controlled cars thread.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Reo, Aug 21, 2017.

1. I've got a bunch of rcs. There used to be a thread somewhere. Axial scx-ii, scx10 heavily modified, axial yeti heavily modded, wraith modded. Got an ecx 2wd short course. Mini revo. Tmaxx. Quads. Micros. Fun hobby, though it can get very expensive. You can stay on the cheaper side easily, but that's relative.

• Like Like x 1
  2. IMG_20180501_124221923[1].jpg
    my 1/16th whatever you call it. it was originally a ford mustang from when traxxas had the 1/16th rally going. from there; I took out the the shock spacers, changed the rockers to the LT, converted to a summit body, locked the front diff/ 500k rear diff. that was over a couple of years serving as a boredom buster but never being ran because I didn't want to shell out the 50-60 buck for a battery, so it came to me one day to zip tie a 1/10 scale battery to the roof of the shell.

and I got to say this thing is a drifting bronco. even lifting the front wheel up during a drift. all kinds of power and weight for the dreadful stock rally tires( traxxas made the tire for gymkhana driving style, but the 1/16th chassis was to short and light to have consistent control, using a hard compound that unfortunately never consistently slipped or gripped on asphalt and marketed the RC for 50mph.... at 25 the dam thing would just wander off on you.... yada ya back to the topic. this thing does 3 wheel drifts. I have a bit of suspension to figure out as it tends to flop drifting one way and initiates perfectly the other way.

3. My SC5m. I have the 3 gear tranny. A castle 3800sct motor. I'm running a 23t pinion. It does about 47mph and has so much power you can flip it over if you floor it before it's going about 25. It could probably go 75 or faster if I actually geared it for top speed. I have a couple of shorty 2s lipos. I modded the battery tray for shorties inline.
    IMG_9322.JPG
    This is a kyosho sc6 with a mustang body. Just got some new proline badlands for it in the pic.
    IMG_9328.JPG IMG_9330.JPG
    IMG_9332.JPG

4. installed a header tank for added fuel capacity and a more steady flow to the carb. 20180128_102229.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. With the power you can make with electric now and the run times nitro is almost obsolete. Forgot to mention I'm running a Savox 1258tg super speed servo. It's pretty amazing. I never knew a servo could be that fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I don't have any new pics but I picked up a B5M body and painted it like my short course truck. I've been using that and running it like a truggy instead of with the big bulky body. It's a lot more nimble like that and I don't get a tray full of debris to clean out since the buggy body covers all the electronics tight. I just run two wings on the body mounts for the SC body. It looks pretty badass. I also added led head and tail lights for night running since Iive in Alaska and the days are super short much of the year.

7. Ya bro when I was into motor specs I specd that 3800kv motor from castle creations and on 2s that little bigger was putting out 1.2 HP at ( been a long while) 15-20ft/lb torque. for a small 550 class motor.

I got one in a stamped 2wd

8. The 3800sct edition is a slightly longer can on the motor then the standard 3800 and it's a 4 pole. Its a 1410 instead of a 1406. It's more built for 4wd cars/trucks in 1/10th scale. In a 2wd it has so much torque you can run a ridiculously high tooth pinion. I'm either running a 23 or a 25. I can't remember. Still has plenty of torque like that for low speed driving around jumps in the yard.

I've never bothered to try a 3s. I have all 2s batteries. I can't imagine needing more power or speed. The shorty 2s's are so light and powerful in the car. If you go 3s it's going to not handle as well. I run all my electronics in line in a row and hacked a support out of the battery tray to run the shorty inline as well. All the weight in the sc5m goes right down the center. My kyosho sc6 has a 3000kv orion that has a built in esc in the motor so it's very bare bones on the inside. Just a receiver and servo.

I also have a stampede 2wd. I put a rustler chassis on it because the stampede one handles like crap. I have a rustler too. The stampede has a 3000kv reedy motor in it. The Rustler has a 4600kv castle 4 pole. Last one is a rc10b4 with some custom mods. It's also running the 4600kv 4 pole.

9. I'm running those proline badlands on most of my vehicles. If you run in a variety of different surfaces it's hard to beat those. I like the medium compound. I also have them in soft. It depends on the surface but the medium seems to grip better for most situations for me. The ruster/stampede are running them in 2.8" size. Great for bashing.

10. Ya that is for the 4 pole 3800kv. In my stampede I was geared 23/83 to lower the torque. 28/83 was right at the sweet spot for gearing with good torque. But that was a couple year ago since then I converted to 32p gears

I could peg it at 2/3rds throttle and get it to wheelie

As for tires I'm a trenchers man myself. Regular 2.8 and 2.8 stretched over 3.2's

11. If anyone wants to mess with one of these cheap there's a new company called WL toys that is building ridiculously cheap entry level vehicles that absolutely haul ass. $65-80

12. #53 killset, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Nitro is by no means almost
    Nitro is by no means almost obsolete. I'm a gear head not a battery head. Most of My local lhs has more nitro cars on track days then electric. It's what a person likes and I like the gear head aspect of nitro, others like the less mess of electric. We have electric also but it's not the same thrill. The track closest to me often doesn't have enough electric to fill all the classes so they combine them. Nitro never has that issue there. Easily 4 to 1 in favor of nitro at that track. However there's other tracks it's the opposite. Nitro isn't going anywhere. We're looking at getting into boats this year and I'm sure we'll have both electric and nitro.

As far as run times go I always get more run time from nitros, just keep adding fuel. When our lipos are used up, you're done for the day.

13. That's really rare these days. Nitro is a dying breed. You're in an area that must embrace it. I can assure you it's not as popular in many RC racing areas as it used to be.

I agree that there is one very cool thing about nitro. It's the realism. You have the noise, the smell, the smoke, the greasy filth. It's like real racing.

Okay lets go over the drawbacks. You can't run nitro indoors. Many rc tracks are indoors. It's noisy as shit. They break down all the time. The run times on electrics are actually longer. If you're not a fool then you have more then one battery and one on the charger. A single battery can last me 30 minutes no problem. Usually I'm tired of driving by then.

Nitro does get less and less popular by the year. Almost all 1/8th scale used to be nitro and now there's a huge group of 1/8th that's all electric.

Actually the nitros can't keep up. A modern 1/8th scale truggy running 4-6s batteries is unbelievably fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. You keep saying its dead but its not. Some people just moved to electric. People are lazy and dont care about learning anything and want the easy car to run.

The drawbacks you listed I see as plusses. The smell, the noise, the grease. And guess what there's an indoor ventilated track not far from my house. The noise in there is awesome. Lots of gear head things are noisy.

I agree nitro has become less and less popular but it's not almost obsolete. Not everyone gets tired of running them after 30 minutes. Some of the races we've gone to are all day events, bash sessions that last all day too. As far as electrics being able to be faster, sure can. My savage xl with the lrp.32 does well over 70. I have no need to go faster. I hardly ever go that fast it's difficult to control and driving in a straight line gets boring.. I know a guy with an electric that's almost ready to break 150mph. Things bad ass but not much for bashing. However if you want faster nitro is still the way to go. You've never seen nitro powered tether cars have you? So fast they are ran on a tether because they can't be controlled. Some of these run 200mph +

I still do agree battery has become more popular recently but nitros are still alive and strong and not going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1

15. Check out this bad boy. Screaming around the track. If you need something faster I don't know what to say

16. Look at all that smoke... hehe. There are a bunch of rc tracks that won't allow nitros. It's not just the top speed it's the acceleration. I've been running rc's since the mid-late 80's back then electrics were almost a joke compared to nitro. This new generation of electrics and what you can do for the price is unbelievable. It also won't piss off your neighbors or the other people at the park. =) Yeah you can gear up any car and put in a giant motor. They probably have pretty similar speed potential as far as top speed but not for the price. Did you see the $65 electric earlier that can do over 40mph? RTR.

17. #58 killset, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Some of us love the smoke.....Not going to add the chic laugh..
    Yes I did hear of the cheap rcs. I've heard of them before now too. I've seen them at the track. That's awesome. Still doesn't mean nitro is dead. No electric motor will fulfill the gear head aspect that Some of us enjoy. You're not proving anything other then you like to argue and think you know everything.

I ride a Harley, own diesels, and several other loud vehicles and toys. Play music loud as hell, shoot guns. My neighbors least care is our rcs. Heck they join me in most of my loud hobbies and love my rcs. Not everyone lives in a city bud. When we take both our electric and nitro rcs to the skate parks it's the nitro that gets the most attention. Look man relax. Electric is king.....hope that makes you feel better....but nitro isn't going anywhere. I won't post any more nitro pics since that upsets you so much and the hobby is apparently dead according to you. I thought this was a thread about rcs, not just electric rcs. I was just trying to participate in a thread. I apologize for my ignorance. I like both electric and nitro and you're not going to change my mind.

18. #59 Tbone Shuffle, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    I've been all over the cheap rcs for years too but actually the last year or so those ones from WL toys are breaking new ground for price/performance. They're slightly better quality then the cheapo rockets that were available previously. Wasn't really arguing. It's pretty obvious nitro is dying. Less and less cars sold every year. There will always be die hards since that was the performance roots of rc. I love it for it's own reasons. Not trying to hate. I'm far from living in the city. That's funny. I'm as remote as anyone. I'm not connected to city water. I'm on the edge of the woods.

To me nitro wasn't about the noise, smoke, grease, and unreliability. It was about the speed since you couldn't get it from electric. Now that you can get the speed and power from electric but it's reliable as a clock pretty much I won't be going to nitro unless I was part of a race division and got really into it. For running around the yard and local park, ect. I'd rather have an electric myself. To each his own. Just discussing dude. I didn't mean to come across as a know it all. I don't think I said anything that isn't true.

19. Just thought i'd throw out some info. I personally had no idea what was possible with modern electrics until about 3 years ago or so when I got back into them with my kids. When I saw what modern electrics were doing I couldn't believe it and it also made me wonder how much longer nitro would last.

There is still some old school nitro guys around who only remember electrics from the bushed motor and nicad days who think that they're not capable of the speed/power or runtime of nitros. If there's still a few of you out there I was just here to inform on how far electric has come with brushless and lipo batteries. The power is amazing and so is the run time.