Racism

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by TheGooroo, Oct 25, 2003.

1. I believe if we didn't teach racism in schools, and parents somehow didn't put their beliefs of racism on their children, it would completely eliminate racism in that generation of children. Humans aren't born racist, and if SOMEHOW they were never told about it, or taught it, or showed it, they would never have it.

I understand the literal difficulty of doing this, but I just like to hypothisize(SP) on whether it really would work or not. All replies welcome.

2. I think that could be true, but the idea of learning about history is so it wouldnt be repeated right? Thats what i was taught. I do believe you have a point there though. I saw this guy with a confederate flag shirt on the other day and on the back of it it said something along the lines of protect the endangered or some shit. fucken dixie shit is just promoting racism.

3. you have the right idea as far as starting with the children....but to try and hid eit from them now is too late ..

i think the best thing you can do is teach people by your example.....

that is how i teach my children....

i treat everyone the same and take them as individuals...

if you are an asshole ...you are an asshloe

no matter where ytou come from...

its ok for them to know there is hate out there....

just that it isent accepted here....

if that makes sence...

4. I dont think rascism can ever be undone and it sadens me to the core of my being, I myself am 1/3 native American, 1/3 Irish and 1/3 welsh but for all I can tell this doesnt matter just wanted to say it, so back to the point of this post, I believe humans will never be able toput simple thing like creed, or race aside, and unfortunaly this will be the downfall of mankind, man I hate rascism, now I am depressed.

5. yeah man the less acceptable hate becomes...the farther we will get from it...

i have lived in alot of places...

in ny ....there is not much rasisum compaired to fla....

here people still teach there children to hate....

they do it by simply alowing there children to here rasist coments ...and the atitude in thse coments is always full of hate ....

if you say ..just one timeto your child...stupid niggers....or dumb spic...all you are doing is teaching them to folloew that path....

show them the way!!!

6. Dirty D is spot on the money.Monkey see ,monkey do .:D

7. anybody who is or has been a parent knows...they do exacticaly what you do....or as you said ...monkey see...monkey do...

monkey through his own ...poo poo.....

8. some people are racist because of things that have happend to them such as a group of dirty heroin junkie asians rob someone oneday from that day on that person would not like asians or if a group of lebs raped your mum you would hate lebs and so on.

9. i can buy into that ...^^^^^

10. I've never been racist. Even though I grew up in a small midwestern town, that didn't have any black or mexican people until 2002, I've still never been racist. To me it just seems ignorant to hate people based on the color of their skin, or generalizations about their race's culture.

It really doesn't make sense. Just seems like a place to hide. It's easier to be pissed off when you have a scapegoat.

11. There is still no excuse for ignorance. It's stupid to hate the whole because of a few.

12. unfortunetly this world is now and always will be filled with ignorance.......

the only ones we can help are ourselves.....

13. I believe it is human nature to notice differences. I also believe it is the nature of some people to be threatened by differences, and therefore criticize and hate differences.

14. im ,y opinon....these people are too ignorint to understand the diferances and so alow themselves to become affraid and then become victims of there own fear and ignorance.....

stupid people come in ALL colors.....

15. Or, one could argue (quite effectively) that this kind of attitude is why the world is the way it is. I think people go through many mental stages in their lives, one of them being a feeling of being part of a larger whole, and one of them feeling very lonely and isolated. The latter is not only damaging to the individual person, but to the whole group.

Everyone needs help from other people. To say not would be ignorant.

16. ok ...so that makes sence...

maby if i say the only one you can change is yourself...i would have been closer

17. i say we teach our children about it, i mean wait... lemme tell la story, i was in 5th grade i think, we were all on the bus and we were just all sitting there talking, my friend from down the street and another kid were talking, and the other kid started to make fun of my friend.. i got mad and called him the "n" word because he was black... at the time i didnt know what it meant at all... i just knew some people said it when they were mad or something.. i did get in trouble and now that i know the hatred behind it i still feel bad... if i knew the meaning of it i would have chosen another word, but when i said that it made me look kind of like a racist... and if that happend to you like your were singled out then youd probably get made at that other person in turn making them almost more of a racist.... er something... i really dont know if that made sence but im trying...

18. I am not a racist.. I love all people... Sometimes I weed out the people who do wrong by others.. This is the only way I seperate people...

I don't see people who rape, or abuse children, the same way as I do most other people...

I don't like to say that I judge people, but I think to a specific point we all do...

It's not based on color at all.. It's more in good or bad..

I don't like racist.......or the people who want to change the world or get something for nothing by yelling racist..

19. i find this debate quite interesting. racism is of course taught and learned everyone knows this. a lot of people will say they are not racist, but in reality they could be. i feel if you have a true appreciate and a respect for other peoples culture, you could understand why the person is the way he or she is. the second you dont respect someone for what they believe in or what they were taught, you subconciously become a racist.

lots of different things can bring it to a head. you can go your whole life not having any problems with any other race that is out there. something traumatic can happen. you could be robbed, jumped or simply ut in a situation with a member of the race thats not yours and all of a sudden youre afraid.

ive been taught to respect everyone, ive been taught to want to learn about other people and their culture. ive made great friends with people of all races and ive been lucky enough to expeirence other peoples cultures to gain an understanding and respect.

the old south and new south kinda is a curiosity to me. im more curious to learn why people in a whole dislike blacks, whites, hispanics, whatever. i myself just cant understand it. i dont think i would like a world that didnt have diversity, even though there are people out there that would be very happy without it.

hate is something that will not be tolerated in my home, especially since my girlfriend is not of my race, her brother is also seeing someone outside of his race and a majority of my friends are dating outside of there race. i guess we all look for qualities, and we havent looked in one place weve looked in many different places. thats my take on it :)

20. ever notice how much easyer it is to teach a mutt?

or how much smarter in general a mixed bread dog is in compairison to a pruebread?(not that all pure breads are dumb)

i mean it just makes sence to mix the blood up a little ...

i think people from every cread and color suck....