Rabbit Manure with maggots and gnats! How do I eliminate them?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by lawschool2012, May 17, 2011.

1. Hey guys (and girls),

Someone gave me some rabbit manure; however, it has gnats and maggots in it. How do I get rid of them without killing any of the beneficial microbes (i.e. no Malathion)? Nematodes? The guy I got the manure from had it in 55 gallon drums with lids on them so no contact with earthworms (I know earthworms will help with the issue). Any ideas?

I plan on mixing the manure in with my pro-mix, but I haven't yet until I figure out if the above situation is a problem or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dude! WTH are they teaching in law school these days?!?! Sue the bastards! Thank goodness there's no significant tort reform so one can tackle such a problem through the courts! Maggots have no jurisdiction nor inherit property rights to "rabbit poop", so sue them and evict 'em LOL :D. And since they are not protected under international law - kill 'em all!!! ;)

I would take the poop, spread it out on a surface such that you can collect it when it dries. Good 'ole Sol will take care of the larvae for you. One should use rabbit manure - like the majority of soil additions - in dry form anyway so just dry it out.

As an added precaution, I suggest purchase of neem cake/meal to have on hand and as an added soil ammendment and nutrient source. Neem contains azadirachtin which is a deadly poison to little bitty critters like gnat larva.

Here is a link to what is perhaps the least expensive place on planet earth to purchase 10lbs of neem for less than it cost to mail it to you.

Neem Cake Fertilizer from Neem Seeds. Vegan. Organically Produced. OMRI Listed.

Good luck but seriously, just lay it out in the sun to dry and then treat with neem ONLY as required. (Best to study up on neem quality before wholesale use esp with young and tender seedlings).

LD is the resident expert on neem and karanja and if he's in the mood he'll give you (us) a 10 min lesson on the magical qualities of this wonderful tree species and it's beneficial uses to plants and mankind. Peace (.... you law school student you - we all hope you will join the legal battle to decriminalize MJ and to push hard for medicinal use in the privacy of our own homes - under the pretense of King's Domain theory - a man's home is his castle and blah, blah... know what I mean?)

3. "It's one thing to shoot yourself in the foot but it's another to remove your shoe to make sure it's a clear, clean shot" - LD

You've got 2 options basically..............

1. Dump the manure in an open field and let nature take it's 2 - 3 year process to break it down and worms will be involved without any outside help.

2. Read up on building a compost pile. It's really a simple project.

You could also return the manure to your friend.

LD2

4. Thank you both! After my mom died of cancer a year ago I have made it my mission to help with the legalization of medicinal marijuana. I believe it would have helped her tremendously given how bad her chemo treatments affected her immune system (she couldn't/wouldn't eat). I believe by becoming an attorney it will help springboard me into politics to aid in the marijuana cause.

Thanks again!

5. #5 lawschool2012, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
    LD, since you suggest not using the manure in my mix what can I use in its place? Guano? I am using subcool's recipe for the bottom half of my holes (using pro-mix instead of roots organic). In my top half I planned on using rabbit manure as the fertilizer given that it is a "cold" fert. If I don't use the rabbit manure can my tea be sufficient in feeding the plants until the roots hit the bottom half (in other words, not having any high N fertilizer in the top half)? My ACCT is composed of Peruvian Seabird Guano, Mexican Guano, maxicrop, liquid karma, earthworm castings, and molasses.

I was thinking of using composted cow manure in my mix (about 20% cow manure within the mix).

6. Dude!! You stole my answer!

I would do what LD and P38 have been telling you.

lawschool2012 .... Fight the good fight, brother! Take them on at their own game :smoke: Best of luck!

7. IDK, you got something big and with drain holes you can dump it in?

I'm thinking, some red wigglers to turn this nasty stuff into some black gold?

MANY (the smart ones anyway), rabbit farmers, have worm bins under the cages. If this one doesn't, count your blessings, line up a supply of these drums of this rabbit poo, buy some worms, and do some research on vermiculture.

Or, do the research and then buy the worms. :cool:

If you can do a steady supply of rabbit poop, you're golden with the worms and some really nice EWC.:D

For me, it was less than $30 to get started, but I had bins from a recent move, and this was 2 years ago. This was the cost of a lb of red wiggler compost worms.

Wet

8. Thanks everyone!:D