R/O Water Filters?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by adlardo84, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Hey everyone,

At some point soon I want to get together my hydro grow. However, I want the water I use to be pure and clean. I know a lot of people go out and buy gallons of distilled water to use, but I feel like that is somewhat wasteful. Lets say I have two 25 gallon resevoirs, one for my flower room and one for my veg room. I would have to be hauling a lot of those gallon jugs into my house every time I need to change my nutrients (once a week at the least). Seems kind of silly and a big hassle to me. So my question is about Reverse Osmosis Water Filters. I dont know exactly how they work, but I know they do and I'm just wondering what people think the best one to buy would be for our growing purposes. I've seen them run from around $150 to $250 and probably even higher. So what do you all think? R/O worth it or not? And what kind should I get? Thanks!

2. Here is a link to have free water testing done. http://www.ampac1.com/ap-ro3.htm

I use tap water for the same reason. I use a lot of water. My water is 300ppm and around 8 ph. I have done OK with it, but I think 10ppm water would do better.

I seem to get a MG lockout once I try to go with higher feeding schedules during bloom cycle.

This grow I am going to just keep the nutes low and see how the yield is.

If I keep getting magnesium lockout I will need to get a RO system. More money.

3. Yeah Earl. So you think I should just get my tap water tested and see what they say before I invest in the R/O?

Anyone out there use R/O Water Filters? Are you satisfied with them? Do they give you better results?

Thanks.

4. just use your tds meter and test your own water.if the ppms are below 200 you dont need a ro filter.if they are above 200 you do.Ro filters are the best way to go imho.that way you know just what your feeding your plants.nothing is left to guess work.

5. i got mine on e-bay. it's portable and you just scew it into your kitchen faucet. no more trips to the water place.

6. I know you are correct Brokencage.

I really need to spring for the RO.

I think it will be the best way to improve my yield.

Whip out the credit card again.