Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

R.E.M. Sleep and insomnia

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Legalizeit2009, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Hey there fellow gc'ers.
    I was looking for some input on a problem that plagues me every night.
    So I was diagnosed with insomnia a couple years back.
    As we all know, marijuana blocks us from attaining r.e.m. Sleep.

What I want to know, is how long does buddah inhibit r.e.m. Sleep for?
    Rephrasing: how long does it take for weed to "wear off" and NOT inhibit r.e.m. Sleep?

Anyone else experience problems such as this? Wether I'm high or not, i still stay up due to my insomnia. I never really wake up fully rested, and I suspect me going to bed high every day kills my rem sleep and it also screwing my sleep schedule up even more. Oh, also I work 3rd shift two to three times a week and the other days first and second. I have no regularized circadian rhythm.

Let's hear some responses suckas

2. IT KILLS R.E.M SLEEP?!?!?!?

Can you link a study please? I use weed for help sleeping sometimes and I'm shocked that it can actually inhibit it.

Also just a thought, having no regulized circadian rhythm is not helping your insomnia... Far be it from me to tell you what to do but my friend did pretty much what you say your doing and he noticed that it was work that was causing it. (for the most part)

3. Maybe you need something else to help you sleep. Maybe a natural product sleeping aid

4. I'm also curious. I hope I'm not hindering my nights sleep by smoking every night before bed. What a paradox, I can't get to sleep in the first place without weed and I can't get the proper REM sleep with it :rolleyes:

5. Whatever study i honestly don't care doesn't mean anything to me, I have been using pot for 4 years -since i was 15- to sleep and i have 3 other friends who use it to sleep, maybe you got crack and weed mixed happens sometimes.

6. I have been using weed to sleep as well as many others and this is new to me. They really need to do more research on weed so I can know exactly what is happening to my body. I am going to keep smoking to sleep because I am in the middle of this for thinking if its true or not. It could very well be, but I feel pretty well rested the majority of the time(more well rested when I couldn't sleep without weed) .

7. When I quit smoking after 2 years I was having crazy ass dreams dude like idk it was fucked up.

8. [quote name='"PeacePot"']Whatever study i honestly don't care doesn't mean anything to me, I have been using pot for 4 years -since i was 15- to sleep and i have 3 other friends who use it to sleep, maybe you got crack and weed mixed happens sometimes.[/quote]

No, don't think so.

9. hah, when I started smoking was the first times I was remembering my dreams. But one I started smoking daily before I went to sleep, I stopped remembering them just like before.

10. For all those people worrying, its not a big deal, if you use bud to sleep, yes you wont remember your dreams and may have a couple side effects like waking up a little groggy and what not but youll be alright.

11. I wholeheartedly disagree with any study saying R.E.M is inhibited due to it. I have gotten my first restful nights of sleep in 5 years since i started smoking marijuana, and not only that but i dream like a motherfucker! You cannot dream outside R.E.M but i still have multiple dreams a night, and while it may limit dreams for the first 1-4 hrs after smoking if you follow the studies, i can personally attest that I/ others still get full, restful R.E.M almost every night with the aid if marijuana. If you do some research on sleep cycles, we dont reach our first R.E.M cycle until 90-130 minutes after being asleep, theoretically if you know how your high works, you could go to bed at a time so that, right when the marijuana is wearing off, your R.E.M is kicking in. For example, i get high for 1 hour from 1 bowl, and residual effects for another hour or 2 (before this tbreak that is) so if i wanted to do the aformentioned, i could smoke at 10 pm, go to bed around 11-1130 and by the time im entering rem naturally, the mj would be wearing off, therefor not inhibiting the cycle.
    Just my .2

12. I personally dont wakeup groggy, feel great actually. I remember dreams EVERY night, and i dont really have any side effects, and this is about 2 yrs of smoking, 1.5 of which were daily

13. fair enough everyones different, for me, i remember dreams off and on but when my tolerance is high i notice i tend to dream less.

14. you dont sleep as deeply when you use marijuana

if youre having trouble sleeping you probably shouldnt use marijuana, or at least not at night

15. Its prescribed medically for sleep all the time

16. its prescribed medically for anything

17. ha ya man i know what you mean. usuallly when i get SUPER ripped and pass out ill wake up like 2 hours later and be like wtf?

18. I know exactly what you mean man

19. weed is the best thing i have ever used for me to sleep