QWISO run. Perfecting my method.

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by 7Grams, Oct 6, 2013.

1. For some reason I didnt take a picture of the first wash. This is a picture of my SECOND And THIRD wash combined. The first is a bit clearer and much closer to shatter, just a very small amount. Chemdawg buds.

Attached Files:

2. Didn't have time to type out my method when I posted this so here goes...

Tools

-Material (bud, shake, trim)
    -91%-99% Isopropyl alcohol (99 recomended)
    -Wide mouthed glass jar with lid
    -Coffee filters (unbleached recomended)
    -Two mesh kitchen strainers
    -Pyrex baking dish (You can use any glass plate, bowl or container. The more surface area the better. People even use regular old dinner plates.)
    -Pantyhose (optional)
    -Parchment paper

***Dehydration***

This is a new step that I recently added that helps keep unwanted water solubles out.

Break down (don't grind) your material by hand to smaller "chunks" onto parchment paper. Not quite suitable for joint rolling is what I go for. I do it on parchment paper to capture any kief that may be dusted about while breaking down the material. Put the sheet of parchment paper with broken down material onto a baking sheet and into a 180 degree over for 20-30 minutes, depending on a how moist material is to begin with. Plant material, dried and cured, can still hold a decent amount of water. Getting rid of this excess water will reduce the amount of water solubles extracted. I go for a nice dry *almost* crumbly texture. Should almost powder up when rubbed between your thumb and index finger. (Not inteded to decarb, I activate after I collect the oil)

***Freeze your material***

I freeze the material straight from the oven into the jar I plan on using for the wash overnight, along with the bottle of iso.

***Move quickly***

I like to have everything set up to go as soon as I take my items out of the freezer. So I place my pyrex dish on the counter, line one of the kitchen strainers with two coffee filters and rest the other strainer right on top of it.

Grab your iso and jar of material out of the freezer and immediately pour iso over the material. Just enough to submerge the material. Less than an inch over. Now set the jar on the counter and "swirl" it gently for about 15-20 seconds. PLEASE no longer than a minute. 30 seconds is my personal absolute maximum.

Now, while holding the two strainers in one hand(strainers with handles help a lot), the same way you laid them out beforehand, over your pyrex dish, pour iso and material through your strainer system. The first strainer, without the coffee filter, catches all the plant matter and the second catches only the liquid, which is filtered directly into your dish. (Remember, the longer the iso is in contact with the material, the more plant matter is going to be extracted)

I often do a second and third wash VERY QUICKLY, after letting the iso and material sit back in the freezer for a bit. 10 second washes with less iso, back to back, filtered into the same dish (seperate from the first). That is actually what the picture in the OP is, so for those of you who throw your material away after the first wash, look at what your are missing!

***Evaporation***

Keep it simple. Air dry. I put the pantyhose around the dish (can be tricky, BE CAREFUL) to block dirt, dust, hair etc from contaminating the oil, and set it next to a window with a fan blowing on it. I let it sit until there is NO LIQUID whatsoever. If doing this inside, make sure it is in a WELL VENTILATED AREA.

***Harvesting***

I like to heat the oil at this point for a couple reasons. The first being to help get any last traces of iso or water. I put the unscraped dish in the oven at 220 for just about 15-20 minutes, this is enough time to see if any bubbles are appearing and to let them pop, releasing undesirables. The second reason is, it is way easier to scrape warm oil. Some like to freeze it to help with harvesting, but I have lost sizeable chunks being flung across the room when a piece snapped and shattered while scraping. No thanks. Also decarbing and activating some of those wonderful cannabinoids :)

***Final storage***

Now I place my collected oil in the middle of a dinner plate that fits nicely over a pot of almost boiling water. I just let it chill, lightly swirling the honey-like oil for 20-40 minutes. This gives us one last chance to evap anything that may be left over. Scrape with a razor, immediately smear onto parchment paper and get ready to melt your face.

Enjoy.

3. Oh, and I put the stuff scraped from the pyrex dish onto parchment paper as well. Left that part out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. oldschool but great looking product, if you wana start doing 1 wash only and getting 1 quality, i can hook you up with le know how.

5. Thanks, bro. I'm all ears.

6. How much bud did you use and you know how much it weighs ? Just wondering I've been thinking about making some

7. I used 7 grams of bud and got around a gram back.

8. When doing the iso & mixing,filtering,pouring the mix. Does it smell alot? As I never seemed to see anyone do a remark on the smell while doing the steps.

9. You're "dehydration" method is called decarboxylation. It converts the THC to THC-A, which activates if eaten.

That's a step you use in making edibles, Idk if that's gonna get you as high as if you skipped that step.

10. Not decarbing. Simply drying. Thanks for the reply.

11. It smells like rubbing alcohol lol. It isn't bad if you're not hovering right over your evap dish. And like I said, I do it facing a window with the fan blowing on it with as much air flow as possible. The immediate area around the dish is gonna have some odor, so I wouldn't recommend evaporating in your bedroom or small space.

12. #12 Cloud9Oil_T.A/ES, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
    yeh itll definitlely smell the shit outa your work space without goodn ventilation. If you can find everclear 190 proof it doesnt smell as much when you evaporate it and being food grade its a ncie solvent.

the bicycle pump method is what yu want i only have a video of me Trying it out for the first time and i did everything warm. and still got 3 grades of hash like the normal strainer methods.

then i tried everything cold doing 7 different "washes" and got a great yeild with no difference in colour. So i started just doing all the runs into 1 dish and evaporating it. my friend EZ extractions has a video i think he made a Kit out of my idea to sell ill see if i can find it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrv_4bol-68

I dont use this method anymore but its exactly what you should be lookin for it saves tons of ISO meaning saving tons of Evap time. And you get KILLer product if you use great buds

edit- You can use a Downstem or Vaporizer Wand. or Adapter to Try a run . all you need to do is find Away to hook the pump up to a Hose.