Quitting smoking and coughing up yellow phlegm?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nathan, Mar 23, 2014.

1. I recently bought an ecig and been trying to switch to it from cigs. I've been doing pretty good so far, yesterday I had only a few puffs from a friends cigarette and today I had two and a half (I had a long drive and couldn't help it lol). I'll probably also have one before bed too. Anyways, I've cut back a ton and I first started coughing up clear phlegm with a little black tarry shit in it. Last night the cough was getting really bad and today I've been coughing up yellow shit. Now, my roommate has some sort of bug and recently started taking antibiotics. Also, you know when you have a sinus infection and you kinda have that taste when you cough up shit? Well I'm getting that taste so I think maybe I'm just sick but the thing is my nose is fine and I can breath no problem, it's something in my throat or lungs or both.

I know you aren't doctors, just trying to figure out if the yellow phlegm is from quoting cigs, from the e-cog or from possibly getting sick. Anyone who has quit cigs have advice?

2. #2 cball, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
    if you stop smoking tobacco, the nasty shit that kills off the cillia will wear off...hopefully before destroying them so they can expel the shit built up so far...
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/smoking-cessation/smokers-lungs-regenerate.htm

it is your lungs starting to work again...but you should check with a dr if it keeps up for a week or more to be safe.

edit: try to kick that nicotine addiction later...ween off it slow to avoid withdrawals.

3. #3 Nathan, Mar 23, 2014
    I know that the cilia come back when you quit, which makes you cough up mucus. That explained coughing up the clear phlegm with tar in it. I'm more concerned about it being yellow because if I'm coughing up yellow shit and I'm living with someone who is on antibiotics for some sort of infection, then it could be something more serious like some lung infection or something. I'll have to ask tomorrow when they are awake.

And are you saying I should wean off the cigs instead of switching to e-digs and dropping the cigs completely? I don't really understand your edit.

4. #4 cball, Mar 23, 2014

if you've been coughing over a week and have yellow now, ya see a dr. sounds like an early infection. (shouldn't toke until you feel better,..use edibles instead)

use the ecigs to break the nicotine addiction (use weaker carts each week until you use zero nicotine carts) but not the 'smoking' action habit...let the action habit be a crutch to ease weening off the nicotine. then later, break the 'action habit' (a ritual, an action habit, some routine you go through when smoking). Hard core cold turkey quitting is a real physical and mental pain, and most people with strong addictions, like I had, 3 packs a day, get real bitchy...for weeks...but you can do it. It is worth it in the long run...as in longer life.