Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Quitting Marijuana - TRUE side effects

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by chsreds, Mar 9, 2012.

1. #201 Striped121, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
    i know this thread is old but as I'm cold Turkey at the moment I've been reading this with amusement and thought I'd join to comment. I've never seen so many people in denial in my life . I've been smoking every day for 28 years and decided 2 weeks ago to quit cold Turkey. Hardest thing I've ever done.
    10 years ago I developed a crack cocain habit for over a year. Giving that up was a breeze compared to this. Trust me the longer you smoke throughout your life the more you Will realise how powerful and destructive this drug actually is. .Cold sweats ,anxiety, stomach in knots ( regardless of how much I eat ), depression and headaches... Other than that yeah it's easy and not physically addictive at all !. Taking a beak is NOT quitting!
    On a side note I would be very interested to see if there's a difference in withdrawal between fat and thin people. As we know THC is stored in our fat cells, Maybe resulting in overweight people not crashing as bad as thinner folk and having a slower more controlled detox.

2. There have been real studies about the subject, that some people REALLY get crazy withdrawal symptoms. I had HARD symptoms without ANY cravings, i WANTED TO QUIT BECAUSE WEED CAUSED ME ALL SHIT. So i did not even want to smoke ever anymore, and u say its only in my head and its only craving?

Read my post above. And really, i did not want to get high ever anymore, but still had 1 month of physiological symptoms, so i'm very sure that it had nothing to do with my cravings or need-to-smoke, because i did not want to smoke ever anymore, and did not want to feel being under influence.

I just wanna say, if you personally don't get any symptoms, it does not mean someone else wouldn't get these. I also know many people who have the same symptoms as i had, for longer time than i did. One of my friend had 6 months of bad sleep, no appetite and lost 20kg of weight in the time he had symptoms. And he eighter didn't want to smoke, or did not feel any need to be high...

So if people get symptoms without cravings, it can't be only in your head...

3. I get major anxiety, can't eat at all... I get so nauseous and I have trouble sleeping unless I've had a long day. But these symptoms go away in a week or two.

4. I once took a break after literally being blazed (and I am talking absolutely wrecked) all day, every day, for 5-6 months or so, and it was actually pretty rough.

Not only was the sleep hard to achieve, but I lost a lot of weight. Sadly, food just didn't taste nearly as good when I wasn't stoned. Losing weight is normally a good thing, but I am already a pretty small guy, so it was more of a negative thing for me.

Now, the above mentioned symptoms are pretty common, so nothing to fret over. However, I experienced something more. It was almost like my brain was having trouble getting back to its normal chemical cycle. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, but I think after being cooked for so many months at a time, where the only time I was sober was literally when I was asleep, my brain was just in, "well.. shit.. what do I do now?" mode.

It was kind of horrible honestly.

Luckily it only lasted a few days and I was back to normal. The break ended up being amazing, because my tolerance was sky high prior to the break and I was spending a LOT of money just to try and stay high.

It also made me appreciate marijuana a lot more after that experience as well.

5. Sorry but I can vouch for withdrawal symptoms being much worse!

I smoked weed everyday from the age of 14 to 21, from the age of 16 onwards I had a serious habit. I would wake up every morning and supple at least 3 bongs before work, I would smoke a fat joint on the way to work, i would smoke at least 4 joints whilst at work, i would smoke a joint whilst on the way home from work, i would get home from work and supple bongs all night, i'd have a fat joint before bed and finally supple bongs until I passed out. This was a continuous loop, 7 days a week for the best part of 5 years.

It wasn't till the last year it really effected me, I was constantly paranoid, anxious as hell all the time, basically just a complete mong! I didn't even enjoy smoking it anymore!

One day I finally decided enough was enough and gave up completely. I chucked my bong, my grinder and everything in the bin. The next month was probably the worst of my life!

Complete restlessness, I was crawling the walls! I couldn't sleep, when I did get some sleep I was having the most intense random dreams (baring in mind I hadn't dreamt for about 5 years). I kept waking up in cold sweats. My anxiety levels hit a new high. I always felt on edge. I didn't know what to do with myself. I literally felt like a crackhead lol!

After about month the symptoms had all but faded in part from struggling with sleep, it was around this time just the smell of weed made me feel sick for some reason?

About 6 months on I smoked a joint again and remembered why I loved it so much! From that point I realised I could smoke it and control my habit, I still smoke it now but would never go back to what I once was! I still regret chucking my favourite bong in the bin though lol!

6. All I notice is when I smoke, I don't dream. When I don't smoke, either I dream more, or just remember my dreams. This usually happens 3 or 4 day's after I stop. I have some intense dreams for about a week, and that's it. It's kind of enjoyable actually...

7. I think it depends on the person really..

How much you smoke, how often you smoke, what grade you smoke, if you take regular brakes etc etc etc..

If your body is use to having something everyday for a sustained period and you suddenly stop you'll get withdrawal symptoms of some sort that's for sure!

8. Whenever I run dry, things just revert back to the way they were before I started smoking. Anxiety comes back, sleep goes out the window, occasional suicidal thoughts (which I've learned to just ignore), my ass turns into a waterfall, and horrible migraines ensue. I believe that when you stop smoking, everything cannabis was helping your body and mind cope with goes back to "normal". I don't have any facts to back this up, but I feel that cannabis helps with so much, that you can forget that you used to have problems, and upon stopping it's not a matter of withdrawal, but returning symptoms of another underlying issue which you may or may not get used to eventually. Just my thoughts.

9. #209 mynameisnotmax, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
    As many others on here i'm taking a break for the first time in a long time, so in my awoken brain state, google brings me here. Firstly thanks to all those that have thrown in their experiences as it's really helped with understanding the withdrawal
    Anyways, I fucking love weed. I've been smoking erryday for 7 years, the last 3 I've had an unlimited amount of high quality stuff, resulting in no moderation. Although going into the 1 month break I have been well prepared for the side effects and it's made it a lot easier. I haven't had any troubles sleeping yet. dreams came back a few nights ago, no problems eating although the appetite is slightly less. memory problems and irritability are definitely prevalent, especially towards the end of the day. (having stupid arguments with the wife over nothing) but the easy fix for them has been fish oil tablets. 6 days in and I have much Clearer thoughts, the ability to communicate with people comfortably, more active and focused and overall, happier and a better quality of life. My goal is to keep toking but only once a month, as I can't imagine life without it, just need to sort out the balance.
    What i've done to combat withdrawals.
    Diet: Eating light, healthy foods to begin the day (eg. Vegetable soups, (onions and garlic are great for the detox) salads, smoothies ect.) and working up an appetite through exercise for a solid night meal.
    Sleep: i play meditation music/tranquil sounds in the background while sleeping. It stops the relentless thinking and I'd be struggling without it.
    Exercise/sweat. Working out hard, running frequently and sweating up a storm, also went to the sauna and felt amazing afterwards
    Meditation: has been very helpful with the irritability, mindfulness meditation to be specific. Just so I can acknowledge what's going on and observe without reacting.

keep busy: staying occupied and writing to do lists have kept me on a steady stream of productive thoughts to do to avoid reminding myself of how much I want smoke.
    Finally omega 3 is probably the most important out of all. Such a good mood regulator and the best brain nutrient. Get some fish oil tablets if you're feeling the grumps. (Also give it to your woman during pms, miracle cure for moodiness.)

Thanks again to everyone on this post.

Peace out fellow sapiens

10. i had to quit because of random testing at work now. Haven't smoked in 3 months. Quit cold turkey. Was an every day smoker for 2 years. Off and on for 5. First couple days sucked. Had a hard time sleeping after working on third shift and a lil nausea. After about 5 days it didn't bother me. Effects different people different ways.

11. Lo
    Lol cold sweats and hot flashes is not bullshit, you clearly have not been smoking enough to feel any withdrawal.
    On day 2 you would already feel the side effects. Maybe u dont inhale idk

12. This is the same for me I quit for two years and I suffered from this for about 15 days and I was fine after that. Then I realized I liked weed to much and started again haven't looked back

Edit- I'm 33 been smoking since I was 14 quit from age 22-24

13. It really is dependent on the person, personally I don't get any more than a little irritable, have trouble sleeping and lack of appetite when I go to not smoking, my girlfriend on the other hand will puke every morning and barely be able to eat at all for a few days.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yep your exactly like me

15. Usually people can't sleep or eat enough food. I've never had problems with both even as someone who sometimes smokes a ton but I've never been a consistent smoker. I'm going on a two month T Break now to get myself in shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. I don't know, but within 24 hours of quitting being a heavy heavy smoker for years, I actually did have hot flashes. it was awful. I had them for 3 days straight for not 5 minutes, but hours at a time. I was so miserable. when I smoked again during one, my hot flash stopped and didn't come back until the next day and continued for 2 more days. all day. I've quit again since then and it hasn't happened since but perhaps there is some truth to hot flashes.

17. i smoked for 11 years everyday all day, just one day i decided to quit cold turkey which happens to be 6 days ago. just experiencing loss of appetite and I CANT SLEEP when i want to. I normally wake up at 6 am, and go to bed by 9-10pm. I now sleep in till 12pm and go to bed 5 am. thats my only downside, no cravings to smoke besides the first day and people are constantly smoking around me. i didnt let them know i quit though till after the 5th day so i didnt get no pure pressure to smoke. i will never smoke again in my life now that ive finally got the courage to quit. oh forgot to mention the bf says im a bit crabby! snap at ppl but i instantly am sorry lol. #withdrawls

GOODLUCK EVERYONE

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. This is what happens to me. They say you can't be physically addicted but those seem like all the symptoms to me. You are going through withdrawal. Usually takes me 2 weeks to start shaking it and by another 2 weeks to get over it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. I guess I can put in too.. currently 1 day sober lol smoked yesterday because I was at a concert after promising myself a t break but oh well. Anyways my symptoms..

Can't fucking sleep until like 5am (got in bed at 12pm)

I don't eat meals much just snack a lot.

Kinda irritable but I'm a nice guy naturally so it's not bad.

Terribly bored.. listening to rap music and their rhymes on how dank their weed Is doesn't help much either but oh well lol

Nothing other than that.. boredom, don't fall asleep as quick., lesser appetite but I can still eat.. That's it really..

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum