Quitting Cigarettes

Discussion in 'General' started by 4_2_0, May 13, 2009.

1. Well, after trying every method to quit smoking cigarettes under the sun with no success, I have filled my prescription for Chantix.

I started taking it yesterday morning, which makes today Day 2.

According to the doctor, I shouldn't see any progress for a few days, and then my smoking should decrease.

I noticed today that cigarettes don't taste the same as they used to. They are starting to taste a little nasty. I guess that's a sign that the Chantix is starting to work.

Anyone else quit smoking recently or in the middle of trying to quit?

2. I'm trying today, bought some of that SNUS stuff. It kills the craving do to the fact I'm getting nicotine. My main reason is I have lung problems that are only getting worse with my smoking.

3. My husband quit cold turkey after smoking 20 years...I'm trying to quit now and I've been smoking 27 years...I know I won't be able to do it cold turkey, though...I smoke 2 packs a day...which is costing me damn near 15 bucks a day...I just have to set my mind to it, but, it's so hard because I don't want to quit for no reason other than I'm going broke buying them...I don't really drink or do other drugs anymore, so cigarettes have been my 'sanity' I guess you could say...

Good luck to you...I hope it works for you....I will keep my subscription to this thread and hope you keep us updated....if it works for you, maybe I will give my Doc a call :)

4. good luck man, it's definately gonna be tough

i really want to quit, but at the same time i don't feel like i'm ready. But i really need to. I have a 9 month old & i want to be able to play with her when she gets older w/o having to stop to catch my breath haha. Plus, its costing us nearly 300 bucks a month. My girl isn't ready to quit, so i can't really quit cuz it would probably cause some problems, or i'd just start back up again. We're tryin to cut back though, which is a start i guess

5. Yup I'm quitting in exactly 6 days. Detox in Hawaii!

6. I found that the 1st time I quit, was not to smoke in the morning - AT ALL. If your cutting down, don't smoke in the morning at all. And try not to just break your giving up by smoking a whole pack and saying "Fuck That", if your cravings are terrible allow yourself half a cigarette, but then go back to trying to quit. Never give up.

7. Congrats. I used to mix my bud with that nasty plant since it's what my mentor always does. I didn't realize how gross it was until I quit. after that it's just no good

8. Finances were definately a motivating factor for me, but I am also "done" with smoking. I have no health problems yet, but I don't like the way I feel anymore because of smoking. I smoke 2 1/2 packs a day. I tried the patch ( 2 at a time) and that got me to stop for two weeks, but then I went back. Hopefully the Chantix works.

I am definately ready. My wife started Chantix 1 1/2 months ago and she's been smoke free for about a month. I know that my smoking makes it harder for her to stay smoke free, as did her smoking when I was smoke free for those two weeks. It's definately easier if you do it together.

9. I quit smokin before goin to jail... got out n started smokin again.

I jus love smokin down a newport, ain't plannin on quittin anytime soon. I dont care how "bad" it is for me.. ima die one day anyways.. might as well enjoy myself..

love me a pack of port shorts in a box mannneee

10. I don't care who you are; you can quit smoking cigs with merely will power. Granted it will be difficult, but it can be done. You just have to keep your mind going and off smoking.

If you can still smoke bud, smoke a joint every time you want a cig and you'll be fine.

Just my 2 cents on the matter....

I was up to a pack and a half a day and I can quit for the weekend pretty easily. I just have no ambition to fully stop :smoking:

11. My father always told me never to be a quitter.

You start something, you finish it.

12. VolcanoSouth is and he's on the chantix too.
    Good luck it's like the hardest addiction to break out there.

13. I smoked for 4 months heavily and quit somewhat easily...now I'm back to a few cigs a day for summer haha. Good luck though...

14. Dude I was reading that chantix can cause suicidal and schizophrenic tendencies to come out in some people. This guy straight offd himself on that shit from what I read.

So if ya start feelin funny, you might wanna hit the doctor up.

15. i remember right after my sister bought me my first glass pipe, she said "you can smoke bud for as long as you want, just NEVER start smoking cigarettes"

sadly, by then i had already started lol. That was 6 years ago.

if i could smoke a joint every time i wanted a cig, i would. But that's not possible at the moment

16. A lot of your smoking cessation pills now are also used as anti-depressants...the people who get affected like that are usually suffering from depression already...

I was taking Paxil for depression and anxiety and it made me gain weight, so the Doc switched me to Wellbutrin, which is an anti-depressant as well as an aid to quit smoking...it had those side effects, too...also, seizures...but the seizures mostly affected people who are known for having had seizures in the past too...

17. lol...I hear that! I'd go broke cause I'd have to smoke about 40 joints a day, then :eek:

18. tsk tsk! 40 cigarettes a day??? gooooddamn lol. I know you said you smoke 2 packs per day, but saying 40 cigarettes just sounds like more haha.

But yeah, i'd go broke too for sure. Like Moonjuice said, i like smoking cigs after blazing too, so i'd need to smoke a joint after i smoke a joint - which would turn out to be kind of pricey :(

no way am i buying & smoking mersh/schwag joints either! Lol

19. So what about people who aren't really addicted? I've been smoking for a few years now but I only smoke a pack of Marb Reds every couple days. I can go 24 hours or longer without a smoke no problem, and I do it by choice. It's 11:23 AM here and I haven't smoked a cig since ten last night. I don't have a craving or anything either. Is it possible to smoke and not be addicted? And I did quit completely about a year ago for a little over a month going cold turkey because my mom paid me a hundred bucks to quit, so I figured a month was long enough for it to be considered quitting. And then i started smoking again because I like smoking cigarettes.

20. I just started trying to quit, today is day 4 cold turkey. Its been going alright.

I wanted to quit for some time now but I came to to the decision the other day when I was tripping. I realized the only reason I feel broke all of the time is because I never have money to buy cigarettes, so If I quit smoking I wont feel like I'm always broke, and I will in fact have more money. So yeah, its been going good so far.

I found these herbal cigarettes at cigar land called "ecstasy". They have a huge weed leaf on them but they are all natural. I think the website is cannabis-free.com or something like that. but those have been helping also. I think that I'm more addicted to the motions of smoking than I am the actual tobacco. So I smoke one of them instead and they have no nicotine or tobacco in them at all.