Quitting anything is it hard?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jordan21, Apr 20, 2011.

1. I was having a conversation with my friends about quitting drugs or anything, let's use cigarettes as an example, they said when people are addicted they can not stop, some do but you get to a point where you can not quit. I said bullshit, I believe that when people say "yea I tried to quit but couldn't" they could they just don't have the will power. Quitting cigarettes isn't going to kill you so when someone trys to quit and says they "can't" I think they really don't want to or dont have the will power. Because if someone wants to do something there's nothing anyone can do to stop them within reason. If someone really wanted to quit they would, otherwise there just lying to them selves.

What do you think about quitting? Is it that people just dont want to really quit or they actually can not.

2. Of course it's possible for anyone to quit, but it does take a huge amount of willpower if you are heavily addicted. The withdrawal effects are what get people, not the cravings. The withdrawal is so bad it's like an actual illness, an illness they could get rid of if they gave in.

3. I understand it is very hard to quit wether your mentally or physically addicted to something but it's not impossible. There point was that after a certain point people just can't.

4. Human beings are capable of some amazing things. I, for one, believe it's a lack of willpower. Anyone can quit smoking cigarettes just like anyone can lose weight, get rich, etc.

5. It's not that they can't quit, it's because they don't want to

6. I will admit that cigs are very hard to quit, damn near impossible. In other countries like France, the general warning on cig boxes that say cigs are as addicting as heroin or cocaine. And it is true. I have tried so hard to quit smoking and I have gone back each time. However, I did quit doing drugs, all of em. When considering quitting do it for yourself and only that reason. If you quit for someone else, they may dissapoint leading to more stress and eventually leading to another reason to go back to whatever you're trying to quit. I hadto quit smoking weed and other drugs for myself as a gift to myself making me smarter and healthier. Now I'm doing better in school and have a Better outlook on life. Idk that's just my personal opinion hope it helps.

7. it's harder than you think. most people overestimate their willpower by a huge amount. it's hard being unhappy and uncomfortable and on edge for a long period of time and having easy access to the thing that will make you feel better. other addictions are much more serious. people have a hard time not doing something once they discover how unimaginably amazing it feels.