Quit tobacco with marijuana?

Discussion in 'General' started by green_grass, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Hey GC,

Man...it's been a while since I've written. Instead of giving background info...I'll keep it short and sweet.

After hearing that a [FORMER] friend of mine tried to take advantage of another friend after smoking her out with marijuana he had laced with PCP, I decided that it was time to take a break from smoking. I haven't smoked ganj in about a month now, and to tell you the truth, it's been really nice to take a break.

Right now, I'm on spring break from my university. I finally finished all of the work I had to do over break last night, and now that there is no pressure decided that today would be the day to stop smoking cigarettes. So far so good...I'm only a few hours into the day and it's been much less worse than I expected. I just have a pretty bad sinus headache.

Here's my situation--I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to buy a gram or 2 for the next two days to make the withdrawal less worse. There are pros and cons to each:
    PRO: I'd be high for 2 days and (logically) the withdrawal wouldn't be too bad
    CON: When I used to get high, I would always smoke a cig afterwards...so I'm afraid that it might be a trigger.

So, I was wondering if anyone else has been in this boat. I know there's a lot of brain chemistry to it, too. I should add that since I've been sober, I've had much fewer cravings for a cigarette. I'm just worried that my idea of smoking weed to ease the withdrawal could in fact make it worse.

Lemme know your stories!

2. #2 Misc, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
    every time i've tried this i end up smoking a cig after i get high (or craving one to the point of bumming/buying a pack)

if you really want to get clean, abstain from both for a while, and then pick up weed again when you're free of tobacco

else you're just leading yourself into the same cyclic patterns as before

(note: i only smoke dank; mileage may vary w/ mike's solution)

3. For me they both kind of went hand in hand. after you smoke a bowl, you grab a cig and light it up. its that way for alot of people including you so i would say definately just lay off both for a while. when your done with the cigs then pick up the buds.

On the other hand, if you were able to stop smoking weed for a month and not really have any problems, then you should feel confident in your ability to say no to one and yes to the other.

4. It's not so much that I smoke a cigarette after I get high (I mean, I smoke a cigarette with my morning coffee...but this morning I had coffee without a cigarette), but I was wondering moreso about the brain chemistry involved. Does being high; having THC in your body, make you more apt to nicotine cravings?

5. marijuana wont help you quit, it'll just help you enjoy smoking more.

6. I quite cigs with weed! Took an OZ of mids, I rolled 40 .5 joints and every time I wanted a cig I smoked a joint!

7. best solution :smoking:

8. haha! i like it!

9. It's the act of smoking too that is a habit. I like madmike's idea; if you have joints rolled, you should like... keep them in a cig. pack and then when you go for one... voila. I dunno it could work. You have to want to quit though, so willpower on your part is required.

Good luck... I was just becoming addicted to smoking after 3 days of smoking a few a day... but then I was like "wtf am I doing" and stopped before it got worse.

10. Cigs are pretty dump. I started smoking in HS (with the same friend I mentioned above). You're right...it's all about willpower. Kudos to you for the "wtf am i doing" thought. Wish i had done that 3 years ago.

11. quitting cigarettes is so much harder than quitting bud at least for me

12. yeah...you all are right. i've pretty much dwelled on this all day long, but I think doing the quit without mary jane is the best thing to do.
    it's 4:23 right now. i smoked a cig last night around 1 AM.
    i want a cig...but i've promised myself to quit this time.

fuck

you're right about that. they're addictive. bud's not addictive

13. quitting marijuana got me hooked on smoking. now im stuck with both:rolleyes:. now trying to quit smoking is a LOT harder, even if i still smoke weed. only because its become part of my routine, and im too lazy to make the change. id say get a 1 hitter, and take a few puffs everytime u feel the urge to smoke a cig. couldnt hurt.

14. buy those fake cigarettes that are just water vapor and nicotine. they are worth the investment

15. that's a good idea, but i'm trying to quit cold turkey...so no nicotine for me. i've tried quitting with the nicotine gum, but i hated that stuff...my mouth, too. it absolutely ate up my mouth.

16. just dont smoke a cig after.
    roll a joint.

17. Hey I was just wondering if you managed to quit.

18. Well, I can tell you this. I am on day 4th of quitting. I have not had even a puff off a cigarette. I did jones for a cig after smoking a bowl the first few times but since I was ready quit cigs I managed to get past those cravings. It's all about how badly you want to quit. If you really truely want to quit then you will. I have such a stuffed up nose right now and my whole body aches and I have a huge migraine but I just take some advil cold amd sinus and tough it out. Realy I don't crave badly today, I just feel like a bag of poop lol. Its worth it though. Smoking cigs is one of the dumbest things you can do to yourself. There is absolutly no benefit or gain from it accept a painful sick death. That's not worth it at al.

19. get an E cig, they have tons of different flavours and you can change the nicotine content depending on what kind of pen you get, spring for a good one and you can start with 24 mg's of nicotine and then go to 18 then 12 then 8 (basically nothing)

i know a fuck ton of people who it helped quit. they are super effective.

20. I could replace cigs with weed if I could buy weed the same price as cigarettes.
    I would never smoke a cig again..

But unfortunately weed is incredibly expensive and there's no way I can afford to smoke as much as I want