Quick yes/no

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by switchridex, Aug 6, 2010.

1. I currently have my plants in 5.5inch square pots...these ones...High Tech Garden Supply
    I'm transpanting today to 2 gallon grow bags to allow better growth. Can I get away with buying just 1 bag of 2.0 Cubic Feet of Happy Frog soil to transplant all my plants? I have 16 in the square pots that im transplanting to 2 gallon

2. Depends on how long you plant to veg these. Remember the plants will double to triple their size when flowering. Aka, 2 gallon pots make for at least vegging them 3 weeks after the transplant or earlier. I use 5 gallon buckets with lots n lots of bullet holes. (lol)

And theres actually no way i can answer your question without knowing how many plants, but i do know it doesn't hurt to buy extra. (You will most likely use it. I ran out twice before i finally quick messing around and bought more than i thought i'd use)

3. you can always strretch the soil with perlite and peatmoss:wave:promotes great drainage.....ff is good soil

4. My bad.16 Plants not into flowering yet(just switched to 12/12 2 days ago) They were pretty big clones and I vegged for a week...most are at least 6 inches tall and very bushy. I might just leave them in the small square pots, I'd like to greater my yield but they were just put into these pots about a week ago..

5. Get pots at least a foot deep man. You will need it. You dont want them going rootbound before they bud. trust me.

deaconfb's idea is a good one as well. But if you wanna half-ass it, odds are your buds won't be the par you would like. Even if they are, why not let them grow bigger if they want to?
    And it sounds like a 3 gal pot would be perfect, but thats entirely up to you.

besides, if they have only been in the pot for a week, id presume the roots haven't settled the pot yet. So I'd wet it down and transplant. You may be able to do this without putting the plants into shock if your careful.

6. one gallon = 231 cu in.
    1 cu ft = 12" x 12" x 12" = 1728 cu in
    1728 cu in/ 231 cu in per gallon = 7.5 gallons per cu ft

So, 2 cu ft is 15 gallons. That would give you approx 1 gallon of new soil per plant

Now, your current pots are 5.5" x 5.5" x 5.5" = 166 cu in. (actually less because the soil doesn't go all the way to the top). One gallon of new soil plus 166 cu in. existing soil is approx 1.7 gallons per plant. (Actually probably more like 1.5 gallons). Not quite enough to fill the bag, but it's way better than what they have now.

I'm not familiar with the soil you're using, but the advice of a previous poster to add perlite sounds good.

A better option is to by more soil and get 3 gallon bags The bigger the better.