Quick Ventilation/Exhaust Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chibalnun, May 1, 2011.

1. Hi all, just a quick question regarding inline fans...

I have a grow box right right around 30.5 ft^3 that accommodates four. I recently switched from CFL's to a 6", 400W cool tube and had a question about inline fans.

I have read that the booster fans in most cases are not sufficient to pull air through a carbon filter. However, I have made my own following roughly this guide:

Easy to Build DIY Carbon Filter

Except I filled the inside of the screen with granulated activated carbon as well as the pre-filter wrap. So the question is, with two active intakes (~28 CFM computer fans) will an inline booster fan rated at 160 CFM such as this:

6 INCH INLINE DUCT FAN EXAUST BOOSTER BLOWER AIR COOL | eBay

Be sufficient if I hook it up behind the cool tube pulling air from the box through the tube then through the filter and out the box?

Basically, will this work? Or will I have to get one of the bigger fans?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

2. #2 josephspare21, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011

one thing u dont wanna do is skimp on ventilation cuz u will have sum major heat problems witch will not be good.

heres a calculator that tells u wat cfm filter u need: http://www.growwurks.com/hydroponic-odor-control.aspx

3. Well, I plan to have at least one or two mounted oscillating fans inside as well, nothing too crazy maybe a couple little 6-10" office fans. What do you think?

4. one strong inline fan and u wont have to have more stuff pluged in the box taking up room

5. So I plugged in all my stuff into that calculator and it comes out to be exactly 160 CFM lol.

6. well then u got lucky lol and now u know for sure what u need :smoke: just dont over think the box (KISS) keep it simple stupid remember when u over think it always turns out bad.

7. Just have some passive cold air intakes and an exhaust fan connected to a can filter with duct work. I have my fan pulling air through the can filter/over the lights/and outside. I'm keeping temps around 77 and humidity in a decent range.

8. What kind of fan do you use? I'd rather not dish out big bucks for a high power fan if I don't have to.

9. Better yet, has anyone had experience using one of these inline booster fans in conjunction with a DIY carbon filter?

10. Look into the Soler and Palau series of fans. Super quiet and really powerful. I use a TD100X for venting my small 3'x2' tent. I tried a can fan initially, but it sounded like a freaking jet engine.

11. I noticed on the high setting it's rated at 135 CFM's. Is the only difference between this line of fans and the cheaper ones the noise level?

12. those fans are only duct boosters they dont really move all that CFM. I would suggest the 4 inch inline from HTG supply, its only 75 bucks

13. how important is stealth?

14. #16 chibalnun, May 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
    But I'm only trying to circulate 30.5 ft^3. Even the 160 CFM booster, if we assume like 50% loss on the fan it's still 80 CFM, that's still nearly three cycles a minute. Or am I missing something?

Stealth is sort of an issue. The smell more so than any noise, as long as it's not ridiculously loud.
    My tenant doesn't care either way, we've been friends for a while my beast.. well..

I don't think he will mind, he just wants to eat my plants.
    I gave him some fan leaves I trimmed the other day, gone in a hurry haha.

Another unrelated question, I have four sprouts under CFL's in a DWC that are looking extremely weak. A friend suggested using a light nute mix (~200ppm) instead of pure water so I did. After a day, still looking weak. They're just bag seed so should I trash them and start over when my bulbs come in (400w MH/HPS)?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. try and keep em alive i mean why not

16. Yeah I was thinking along the same lines. Those pictures were from yesterday. Today all of the cotyledons on all four plants are almost completely brown or yellow and the leaves are showing slightly yellowing at the tips and they haven't progressed much past the growth stage showed from yesterday's pictures. It's 8 gallon reservoir feeding four; I use the Advanced Nutrients 3 stage (Grow-Micro-Bloom) and mixed it to 182 ppm from distilled water which originally brought my pH to 5.4, today it is 185 ppm and pH 5.8 yet the plants seem to be doing worse.

My other plants, nearly identical conditions (two weeks into LST veg) but in perlite/vermiculite and hand watered are thriving (they get around 1200ppm nute mix).

Any suggestions?