Quick Soil Question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TtownGreen, Oct 2, 2008.

1. #1 TtownGreen, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
    Wassup y'all? Me and some buddies planted a seed about 20 days ago and the plant has been under 24 light since Some of the lower leaves turned a pale yellow and my friend ripped them off, the newer leaves on top are looking good but we've noticed a little discoloration on the tip of the leaves.

I'll admit that we didn't know a lot going into this, but I've done some research and learned that the soil we're using isn't good for growing pot. We're using miracle grow organic choice. 10-10-5. I've read that it is possible to grow if mixed with some perlite. What ratio should I use and how should I switch the plant to a more favorable soil?(mc organic choice mixed with perlite)

I'll upload a picture when I find my camera.

Extra info: As I said earlier, the light is on around the clock. It's just one plant and I have two 100 watt cfl's shining on it a few inches away. It's in a closet and gets plenty ventilation.

2. Perlites good but its not gunna stop miracle grow from being shitty.

Buy new soil (I reccomend coca) and mix perlite with that and transplant to it bringing as little miracle grow soil as possible.

3. Dont use pre nuted soil, nothing with NPK in it, especially not something as high as 10-10-5
    Transplant to some FOX FARM

4. Well, I went to the nursery yesterday and I wasn't able to get my hands on any foxfarm, however I managed to get some fafard potting mix that didn't say it had any ferts on the bag. It is peat moss, vermiculite, perlite. I transplanted my baby from a red solo cup into a much larger pot. The roots were way longer that I had imagined as they reached to every end up the cup and had begun to wrap around the bottom multiple times. I removed as much of the nutrient rich soil as possible without damaging the roots, planted her into the new soil, and watered it.

Today, the plant looks the same, maybe a little more discolartion on the leaves. How long should it take the plant to recover from the nutrient burn? Thanks

5. The leaves will never turn green again, but as long as new growth stays green or the burned leaves don't get worse you're good.

6. Correct.
    And I would be giving it distilled water.

7. #7 rigormortis, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
    you dont have to transplant and usally the yellow leaves are a sign of a defficantcy and I'll be able to tell you what exactly what you're missing if you tell me your symptoms and post high-rez pics and figure out your Ph level of soil and water are and I'll be able to tell you what to add to compinsate for it or how to remedy it if it's not too late
    the MG organic soil isn't as bad as people say it just requires more maintenance
    also dont use any nutes or ferts for now just plain water for now.
    I geuss it could be a nute burn also but it doesnt sound that way to me plus I dont have much info to work with right now

BiZness