Quick Qustion?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Mstudy88, May 22, 2014.

1. Does everyone stop feeding the leafs once u start budding??? or no?

Attached Files:

2. #2 GoldGrower, May 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2014

Feeding the leaves? What do you mean exactly? 

Co2 and light go in through the leaves.
    Water and nutrients go in through the roots. 

3. I mean foliar feeding.

4. Oh right, that's not something I practice. Wetting the leaves isn't something I would want to do, especially in flowering. 

5. Ya I understand you don't want to during budding, But why not in growth??

6. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to stop doing it, but for me, I just don't see any logical reason to do it. Nutrients are taken up by the roots, not the leaves. Even if it were possible for the plant to take in nutes through its leaves, what's the point? If you have the optimum ratio at the roots already then you would just be overdosing them anyway.

Wetting leaves block stomata and can damage leaves. It will also cause 100% humidity levels around the leaves causing transpiration to stop dead.

These aren't huge reasons not to wet leaves, it's unlikely to kill a plant so I don't advise anyone to stop doing it if they enjoy doing it, but I see no positive reason to do it at all.

If it's for pest control the end justifies the means. but if your doing it for.... Ummm..... Why are you doing it exactly? 

7. The hole thing We are doing here is trying to recreate the conditions outside But better. And I always thought that we needed to simulate rain! Is that stupid??

8. #8 GoldGrower, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014

I never try to simulate outside conditions.
    Following nature is unlikely to be a good path because nature is harsh and cruel. It's a tough life in the wild. It's best to give the plants an environment that they do best in. 

your plan of outdoor conditions but "better" is fine, but in my opinion the "better" part is not wetting the leaves. Just like not introducing a rabbit in to the grow room is certainly "better" lol 

9. LOL Ya But They are short and bushy plants that like colder temps, And I can see them reacting to it in a good way. Think its just the strain? U really don't spray them with any water at all?? and it works?? Im only on my 2nd go around so Im still learning! 

Attached Files:

10. #10 GoldGrower, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
    Colder than what? No, I don't think it's the strain. I have sprayed plants in the past, but there is no logical benefit and I don't like the idea of the stomata getting blocked so don't practice it. My plants seem to do better if the leaves never get wet. There's no reason they would like getting wet as far as I can see. Transpiration must slow when the leaves are wet and I certainly wouldn't want that. I'm not trying to persuade you, it's not going to have a massive impact on them either way.

Adding nutes to the water when spraying could damage the leaves though. When the nute solution evaporates, it will become more and more concentrated, this can easily damage leaves and also leave salt deposits that will block light to a degree and will need washing off

11. I've heard good points on both side!

12. What were the good points of the other side? I can't think if any logical reason that foliage feeding could give any positive effects. It would be good to hear some