Quick Question re: Lighting...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by evilive, Apr 15, 2009.

1. #1 evilive, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
    Just starting Week 2 of a soil grow, 4 seedlings doing well. approx 3" tall each with 2nd and/ or 3rd nodes starting to form... under 11 x 26w CFL's (6500k) with a fan on them etc. in a grow cabinet...

My plan was to have a 2nd cab for flowering only, and was going to use 4 x tubed flourescent lights running vertically in the cab, and a 90 Watt LED UFO light in the center / top to light the whole cab.

My QUESTION, is actually whether I should add the 90 W UFO to supplement the lighting in my veg. box until I move them over to flower? Would it provide substantial more growth for the next 2-3 weeks before i start flowering?

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      169.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      115.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      114.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Just added the above pics to get opinions on any plant health issues you advanced growers might can tell just by looking at the plants... that one plant stretched because i started the first 2 days with the light entirely too far away, that seems to be corrected now, its leveled off and started 'noding'

3. I don't know that the 90w UFO will be much of a benefit, but it certainly can't hurt. You have a good set-up as is, plenty of light for 4 plants. Things should progress well for you.

4. Thanks, Tim. That answers the question, unless it would dramatically increase my yield, I'm not going to mess with the setup.... I'll likely use bubble buckets next time... but for an initial grow, i'm trying to just learn all I can....

One (obvious) mistake is my failure to put an intake / outtake on the cabinet... to "cure" it for now, I've been leaving one of the doors on the cabinet cracked. Its helped tremendously with the heat in the cab., but it still pushes 90-95 degrees where the plants are... i'm thinking this is slowing their ascent towards the lights, but I don't particularly want to interrupt the plants by cutting the holes out, adding intake / outtake fans at this point, if I can get em good enough to move to the flower Cab., then I can fix up the intakes / outtakes for the next run.

They've all been in there for almost 2 weeks, so my next step is lightly adding nutes? Which from my research at this stage should be slightly higher in nitrogen content.

Thanks all for the comments and allowing me a forum to ramble on about my new favorite hobby...:bongin:

5. Yes, having an intake/exhaust will be a huge help in moving air. 90-95 degrees is way too hot and will cause the plants to slow down or stop growth, without any air flow. Get a couple more fans in there. And yes, for veg you want a nute higher in nitrogen than P and K.