Quick question on sexing clones

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Insutama, May 9, 2013.

1. So i started 10 norther light plants and just took a clone from each plant now once the clones root would i be able to plant them in small cups and put them directly into flowering room so i can sex them and the find a good mother from all the plants i took clones from or would i have to veg them for abit before i put to flower i just wanna find out which plants are female not actually fully grow the clones

2. All clones will be exactly the same gender as the plant you took them from. There is a reason they are called clones, you know. lol

3. Ya i know that but im not sure what sex The plants are thats why im cloning then and then flowering the clones so i know what sex the plants kinda confusing lol

4. If you took clones from ten different plants of the same strain you are probably going to have a hard time telling which is which and most likely mix them up. I wouldn't have even cloned until I knew for sure I had at least a female.

5. #5 Tomato Dog, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
    To find out if a pheno is worthy of being a mother, all you'd have to do is take a couple clones off a plant that's about to go into flower and wait for that original plant to finish flowering to decide if it's a keeper for mothering.
    Likewise, Yeah man to find out if your plant is a female/male early on. Take a clone about a quarter of the way through veg wait for it to root, then put that clone straight into flowering.

6. Wuidd420 i labeled which clone came from which mother lol
    And thanks dope man thats whats i was wondering wasn't sure if a fresh clone after rooting could go directly into a flowering room after i find out the sex ill find the strongest female and keep that mother then get rid of the rest

7. you can flower while rooting and they will do fine, I mean if your sole interest is to find out the sex. however this won't tell you which is your best female, not until you sample the bud.

this is what I do...
    I cut a clone from each plant, then flower the originals.
    when the originals show gender I bin the males, along with the corresponding clones.
    once the female clones are rooted I keep them vegging the whole time the originals are flowering, topping them regularly to keep them short enough for my set up.
    harvest the originals, dry and test for the best single plant.
    once the best is picked I put the corresponding clone in the mother box and flower the rest of the mixed clones
    by the time those mixed clones have finished the selected mother will be huge and will give me lots of clones for the next grow

8. okay sounds like im doing it backwards lol maybe ill do like you said and go throw the mothers into flower now and let the clones keep going in veg

9. I find if you flower the clones first and you want to try out the bud to pick your best, by the time they are finished the originals would be humongous. if you didn't see the clones to harvest you may not pick the best bud. it would be a shame to pick the least potent plant out of the ten, or a nasty tasting one, or one that is susceptible to mould or fungus, well I think you get the idea lol. it works for me

10. Very good point i just put my ten mothers into flowering room today i was gonna keep one male and all the females and make seeds so it will be hard to know which plant is gonna have the best bud cause making seeds will ruin the bud on all the females won't it ?