Quick question from non-grower

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Sir Elliot, May 10, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I know I could probably google this, but I figured I'd get more trustworthy responses here.

Can LEDs be used for growing? If so does their lack of heat help, or create different sets of problems?

It would seem to me that LEDs, being so energy effecient, would be a more 'green' way of growing indoors, and by reducing heat would further produce energy effeciency by reducing the need for fans etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bottom line...Absolutely they can be used, and they are great because they don't generate a lot of heat. They also use less power to provide the same power that an HID lighting would...make sense???

Otherwise there are other elements to consider and what not. It's been debated numerous times. Generally the price needs to come down on them for it to be worth it.

3. Led are not great for growing, but they are capable. There are better lights like HPS. I dont know how "green" led's are.

4. Okay, thank you.

Wasn't sure if there was some light spectrum reason that they couldn't be used for growing or somesuch. Was curious.

:smoking:

5. Yeah LED's actually provide the color spectrum, that's why when you see grows using them they have blue and reddish colors to them, You can physically see the light spectrum that an HID light would provide.