Quick question about water retaining

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by urn man, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I'm using 5 gallon smart parts, its not plastic but a sort of cloth, suppose to breathe better. I water about every 4 days, in my second week of flowering. The problem is now when I water, it starts to pour out the sides even before finishing the first cup of h2o.... Im wondering if their root bound, or already wet enough? the top of the soil is super dry, but when I stick my finger in the soil doesn't seem to dry, but 4 days seem a long time between watering, I have 1000watts HID going.

Please any help would be awesome, what are yall's watching schedules and does anyone with smart pots have this problem? Im thinking for my next grow just using normal plastic pots..

2. 250 views, no replies :/ Did I word the question funny? Maybe this isnt a common issue.

3. How high does it come out on the side? Like the top sides?

4. I have 10gal smart pots and the sides don't even get moist when I water. Water is seeping through the sides before it gets to the bottom?

5. i used 3g. Once it came out the top sides. I used a fork to break up the top soil and never had the issue again. What soil? Perlite? Sounds like compacted soil.

6. #6 urn man, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
    I was thinking maybe its compacted. Most of the time its about middleish of the pot to lower. It only took me two gallons of water on 8 plants under the 1000w every four days, that seems off right? they're developing nodes though, hope to start seeing more pistols in next week or so.

soil is a mix of fox farm, dr earth, ace organic, and bag of perlite. I think this was my mistake, mixing all of them. shoulda just sticked with one and got some amendments I'm thinking. Could this be sign of too much perlite?