Quick question about room temp/res temp

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by matt0707, May 6, 2013.

1. I just have a quick question regarding my room temp and res temps. The res is kept at around 64-67f, but the room temperature is slightly out of my control at the moment and i'm just wondering what sort of effect it will be having on my plants.

During the day the air temp at canopy level sits around 72-75f, but at night it's getting to as low as 47. What sort of effect will this have on my plant? Is it pretty vital to bring my room temperature up or will they survive out there? They're in a grow tent with a 300w LED panel which doesn't seem to heat up enough to keep the room warm like i'd hoped for. Is it worth investing in a small heater of some kind to keep the temps up overnight?

2. yes. if your room temp is hitting 47f then ur res is getting that same temp as well, maybe even lower. optimal root growth occurs in mid 60's. small heater will def help

3. #3 matt0707, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
    Ok thanks a lot, i'll definitely get one asap. I have a few very sad looking plants at the moment, hopefully this will cheer them up lol :D

EDIT: Just wondering, I have a small water heater that can be used in the res. If i used something like that, would the air temps still effect the plant growth, or as long as the roots are fine it will grow fine? Ill still go and buy the heater anyway just for a bit of peace of mind, but im just wondering how the room temperature would effect the plants overall growth if the roots were being kept at the right temp while the room temperature dropped.

4. also. try insulating ur res with something. as long as res temp is maintained; roots will still thrive.

5. Both night and day temps are low....

Rule of thumb you want to shoot for....
    Day temp: 75-78 (no Co2)
    Nite temp: 72-75 (there should be no more than a 10 degree between day and night)
    Relative Humidity: 50-55%

Check out the last link in my signature under the DIY Area....
    That temp controller does heating and cooling, so exhaust into one plug and small heater in the other....
    It's also a great nutrient controller as well, again, controls both heating and cooling of the nutrients... ;)

Good luck

:gc_rocks:

6. Thanks a lot Jakester and TheAnswer!

I think i'll definitely get on to that DIY heating and cooling controller, looks extremely helpful :)

So glad I posted for help, much better than lurking :p

7. Ya, not sure where you're at, but ANY radio shack will have the plastic "project box"...
    Here is the one with the project box and controls both heating and cooling....

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yours...emperature-controller-$35-2.html#post16699116

Here is how I wired it to control heat and cooling.....

Pretty simple to do, and really follow the examples, it's a high school project ;)

Good luck
    :wave:

8. ive had issues with cold rooms to, usually not in the summer.
    instead of buying a heater, i just put a dehumiditphier that raises the temp a few degrees.

the rez temp is good.

9. #9 matt0707, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
    That's something ill consider too as I'm going to assume a dehumidifier will use a lot less electricity than a small heater :)

Just about to order my Digital STC-1000 Temp controller off eBay, hopefully I can get it all together and sorted in time before these plants fall over and die. They are definitely not looking too happy at the moment.

If anyone could offer a bit of advice on my TDS issues that would be great, don't really want to start a new thread though. Basically my tap water is about 300ppm. Now i've read a LOT of conflicting opinions on PPM: multiple sources say that they've used tap water with 500-600ppm and haven't had ANY issues with growing, and others say anywhere over 200ppm and you should NOT use it and consider an RO system or buying water...

Now i've also read that those numbers could basically be irrelevent depending on what those TDS actually contain. I looked at my local water report and the 'hardness' level of my water (calcium and i think magnesium?) was relatively high compared to all surrounding districts. As i said, my plants are NOT looking happy and as far as i can tell everything apart from the room temperature is sitting right. Is it possible that using the town water (I let it sit for 24 hours) at 300ppm (with nutes about 500ppm) will be causing them problems (some leaves brown and patchy, yellow and curling on others), or would it be more likely to be the room temp? Or just a combination of both? Any advice would be much appreciated as this is a first grow attempt, first hydro attempt, first at many things :)

EDIT: I just realised I really should be posting this in the Beginner section!

10. If your rez temp it's too low, nutrient lockout can happen.

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app