quick question about pot size

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dwise420, Jul 1, 2010.

1. hey guys, i have two girls, id say about 2.5 ft. tall. they are 2.5 weeks into flowering now and are both in 1.58 gal. pots. I am not sure if that is too small or not? should i get some new pots and transplant and if so will that stress them out a lot?

2. Repot them ASAP. I'd get at least 3-4 gallon pots if not 5 gallon.

General rule is 1 foot of plant = 1 gallon of potsize. A 4 foot plant would be comfortable in a 4 gallon pot.

And seeing as you are early into flower they will probably grow at least another foot.

3. thanks for the info, i will for sure go tomorrow and get some new pots. i fished out a male and a hermy about a week ago from the same batch in the same pots and they didnt seem root bound at all... i thought it was a bit wierd. will a transplant during flowering really stress my plant out?

4. If you haven't transplanted them at all for their whole lives, they will be fine with transplanting them this one time. Just make sure you water the hell out of em right after you transplant. Also be careful not to break the stem.

When I transplant, I take a butter knife or anything straight sturdy and strong and go around the entire pot "cutting" the dirt away from the sides of the pot. This should enable you to pop the plant and rootball right out without much resistance.

Your plants should bounce right back within a week after transplanting and you'll see a lot of vigorous new growth.

5. i have transplanted them twice before actually. once when they were just sprouts, and once from a starter cup to the 1.58 gal. pot probably at 2 or 3 weeks into veg which was 5 weeks long total. both times the plant seemed to be perfect though with no problems at all. the whole plant with all soil attatched came out and i placed it in the new pot with more soil. I have never had troubles with transplants...

i know i can get the plant with all the soil attacthed out and into a new pot, i jsut dont want my plants to herm out on me.

6. so i ended up finding two different 5 gallon pots around the house, had enough soil to transplant one, which was a success. now im just waiting for canada day to be over for the stores to be open to get more medium :).

Thanks a lot bro

7. No prob. The girls will love all the extra room to spread their roots :D

8. word up, can't wait to see the growth spurt in around a weeks time.