Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

quick question about measuring joint size

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by adidam, Jul 1, 2010.

1. #1 adidam, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2010
    ok, so my diffuser broke and im buying a new one
    its an amg and its glass on glass
    from what ive read glass on glass has two standards 14 and 18 (mm)

i did the dime trick i got off of another thread here
    but im still confused

the hole in the bong (where the downstem goes) is big enough for the dime to fit
    and the hole in the diffuser is too small for the dime to fit

so i guess my question is, when buying a new diffuser,
    do i determine which size to buy based on the hole in the old diffuser or the hole in the bong where it fits into?

edit: also what does it mean when the joint size is two numbers with the greater than (>) symbol e.g. 18.8>14.5

2. Use the old "if it's not broken don't fix it" saying.

SO my answer would be measure the size of the old diffuser because if you claim it to fit then it would probably be better to measure the old diffuser because you will have a better chance for the best fit and a worse chance the other way because it could be too tight or too loose.

3. i am measuring the old diffuser, the dime doesn't fit so it should be 14 (from what ive gathered)
    my question is whether i go with that size or the size of the hole in the bong that it fits into

and whats with the # > # thing? is that the bong hole size > the diffuser hole size? meaning outside > inside diameter?
    if so would that mean i should get a 18>14 size diffuser, because the dime fits in the bong's hole but not the diffuser's?

4. the diffuser size and the bong's joint size are the same size one end is just female and one is male just like plugs. The diffuser is most likely the male end and the joint on the bong is most likely the female end . Those measurements your spouting are the two most common joint sizes 14.5 and 18.8. There is even 29.2 and so on and smaller ones two but these are the big three. your saying a dime fits in your joing on your bong but not your diffuser its probably an 18 then It would be really hard to fit a dime into a 14.5 so im assuming here would help greatly if i had a picture of the bowl you where using a could eyeball it in a heartbeat.

-Mephy

5. What is this measurement. Is it the diameter of the joint or something? If so just get a ruler with a CM side and count the millimeters.

6. ok i understand now
    thanks

but now i found a diffuser on GC shop that says its 18.8>14.5, is that [male]>[female]? <Link>

7. it should say reducing adaptor or something but if it says 18.8 to 14.5 that usually means its an 18.8 bong joint and the 14.5 is for the bowl but It depends on the description and pic do you have a link to the item in question