Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Quick question about Live Sugar

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by puddleglum, Aug 26, 2020.

1. #1 puddleglum, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Hi folks, I've never cooked with Live Sugar (concentrate) before. My understanding is that it has a resin/sticky texture? My question is this: If I make a batch of vegetable oil with decarbed live sugar, and then store the bottle on the shelf, will the live sugar stay suspended in the oil, that I can just shake it up like salad dressing before using it? Or is the live sugar going to separate out of the oil and congeal into a solid, messy blob? Will the answer change if I use lecithin?

Please note I am asking about liquid vegetable oil, not butter or coconut oil. I already know how to make BnW style coconut oil capsules (see avatar). This is different: I want a liquid veggie or olive oil, that I can use in recipes like salad dressing.

Thanks!

(edit) Or am I better off straining out the sludge; the THC will be dissolved in the oil?

• Like Like x 1
  2. [​IMG]
    I'd likely still use Coconut oil for the speed of onset of the stone. The Liquid version is just as effective a carrier for our use as a drizzle style dressing. MrSilly and I worked out several different infusions when we did the Challis Cannabis cup a few years ago.
    We used the Decarbed Dry Ice Kief, Liquid Coconut oil. No Lecithin. 20 min Heat and let settle. Poured off the nearly clear oil and that was what we brushed on as the kicker for several dishes.

Leaving out the Lecithin gave us a weaker oil it but made it settle out the kief much better and gave a very clear and clean looking oil where the Lecithin version was full of particles that wouldn't settle out and didn't clean up well at all.

Work up a small batch both ways is my advice. We had several " Sampler parties" getting the fine details worked out before the event. :)

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hi BNW, you know I respect your opinion a lot. Are you saying live sugar won't work for my purposes? Are there any recipes that you do recommend for live sugar? I'm looking to give live sugar a try as an experiment, to expand my repertoire. I already know how to cook with kief. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. That concentrate is meant for dabbing not edibles. You're wasting your money. Find some cheap shatter or something/anything cheaper than live sugar. You'd be better off buying flower and making your own concentrate using isopropyl alcohol.... JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Let's say for the sake of argument that the price is irrelevant, and I'm just looking to try something new for the sake of variety. I already know how to cook with flower.

Are you saying the live sugar won't get me stoned? It's not compatible with edibles?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Its compatible after a decarb. The only reason I suggested its for dabbing is it's a connoisseur product created for a high terpene content. That terpene content doesn't transfer over to the edibles.

7. Cool!
    So does anyone know the answer to my question: Will the live sugar incorporate into the liquid oil, or will it re-congeal into a solid?

8. It should incorporate just fine in most oils you'd want to use for that. It's still cannabis which is still soluble in oil. You'll lose most of the terpenes when you decarb but it will still have it's potency. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Thank you Sam! I'm off to the dispensary... I'll let everybody know how it turns out.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I used concentrates almost exclusively for several reasons. I have some olive oil in my cupboard right now that I infused with decarb’d Chemdawg live sugar. It’s great. As for the loss of terpenes, maybe so. But I don’t see it as a waste of money. My Chemdawg was $25/g. That’s not a huge amount of money. I’ll spend that going out to dinner with nowhere near the amount of enjoyment I get out of the infusion. With that one gram, I make a cup of infused product. That cup of infused product will yield 80 or so servings of edibles. In the case of cookies, etc., I get $50/dozen with each cookie having about 10 mg THC. I can get a little over six dozen from one gram. That’s around $300 for $25 of live sugar, food cost and my time.
    I say all that, to say this (!): SirDabbington might not like the taste of cookies but love the taste of dabbing...respectfully to each her own ❤️

• Like Like x 2
  11. So here is my report: I bought a gram of live sugar as an experiment. It dissolved into the oil just fine. I took BNW's advice and used liquid coconut oil. Very potent stuff! Flavor is terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Good to know. I don’t like a terrible flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum