quick question about lighting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Nate04, Aug 16, 2012.

1. I don't really like to spend money on myself cuz I have kids and it seems selfish of me. So I'm wondering if I could start a closet grow with shop lights. I have a garage full of them.

Is it possible to use household lights like that so I don't have to dish out a couple hundo on a grow lamp?

2. CFL's work great and they are cheap

3. Incadescent is no good, cfl is fine.

4. #4 BYOweed, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2012
    Good parent, I like it!

As the previous posts state you can use CFLs. Pick up 3 42w CFLs for 1 plant, 4-5 for 2 plants. You can also pick up Y-splitters(2-5 bucks) to reduce cords.

Just get an oscillating fan and make sure the air blows through the plant(s) and bulbs.

Make sure to keep an eye on the closets temp. So if you have thermometer laying around I would throw it in there.

5. Check out these prices HID Hut Digital Ballasts - Hydroponics | HIDHut Discount Hydroponics Supplies and Equipment

^250w digital ballast $59, 400w $99 scroll to the bottom for socket and cord ($8) all you need after that is a reflector.

You use different spectrums for flower and veg, so whatever kelvin your shop lights are, will only be good for one phase of growing. 5600k-6500k for veg, 2700k for flower.

6. or he can get the 400w ballast with a hood, 2 bulbs and hangers for another $35 including shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLSETX...F8&qid=1345137776&sr=1-1&keywords=400w+ipower

7. wow, can't beat that :smoke:

8. sure can't... just picked up the 600w myself :p

9. yes. the 400w ballast on the other site was $100. For $35 more he gets all that other stuff and free shipping, prime or not. with prime, free shipping is upgraded to 2-day.

10. Just making sure, still a good deal :smoke:

11. Thanks for all the input guys! Can't wait to put this project in motion. I will start working on the room for now.

12. Please read up first. It's impossible to look through this forum intending to understand the basics of lighting and not find that info. It's readily available.

As for spending $$, compared to what? If you're paying for grass now then you will be saving money by growing, and better lighting means higher quality and yield so you still are paying yourself back, not spending.

13. [quote name='"toastybiz"']Please read up first. It's impossible to look through this forum intending to understand the basics of lighting and not find that info. It's readily available.

As for spending $$, compared to what? If you're paying for grass now then you will be saving money by growing, and better lighting means higher quality and yield so you still are paying yourself back, not spending.[/quote]

I did some basic research on the topic and never found anything stating whether a good ole shop light would suffice. This particular forum is titled Absolute Beginner so I didn't think my question would be a bother.

As for $$ I only have access to schwag and low mids in my 2k population town in the middle of nowhere, Texas. So because of lack of quality buds and since I toke once a week I don't have a high tolerance. 20$ goes a LONG way for me.

I'm sure if I was getting a 1/4 of some OG Kush weekly I would be more at ease throwing a bill or two into a good light.

14. Should be fine for your purposes then. People grow some large plants under shop lights, granted they're mostly trim with a few nuggets up top but if you just want a nice looking plant, a few nugs, and some decent hash oil then go for it. :smoke:

15. OK I think I'm going to try the CFL bulbs but my local store is out of 42w. They have 32w and 55w. Would 55w be the better choice?

16. 35w would work well. 3 bulbs for one plant, 4-5 for two