Quick Minimum Temp question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gregger, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi People,

I bought a second temp gauge yesterday so that I can see what is happening when the lights are off in the early hours of the morning, and I am shocked at how cold it gets!

1x250W HID in Grow tent (in UK Attic)
    18/6 light schedule
    2 plants in soil

The minimum temp recorded last night was 48.6F with a minimum Humidity of 39%

When the lights are on the average temp is around 76F, which I am happy with.

I don't want to risk putting a heater in the attic and leaving it through the night.

So my question is:
    Is 6 hours an acceptable time for my plants to be at around 50F? Of course it would be a little less than 6 hours as I would imagine it would stay warm for a little while before dropping to that.

I am only growing for a personal smoke, so not looking to yield mega amounts. If I can still get 1/2 an ounce of each plant I'll be well happy.

Thanks in advance

2. Get a heater. 50 is way way too cold.

• Like Like x 2
  3. i agree with the heater. just get one of the little ones from walmart for like $20. i have one in my tent, and it keeps the temps nice without getting too hot, or running all the time. it kicks on maybe twice an hour for 5-10 minutes at night with my lights off. My temps go from 64 F - 78 F, and outside gets down to 25 F or so right now, and will get colder. Once you get it dialed in, it'll be perfect

4. You could also consider leaving the light on 24 hours if ur not comfortable having a heater..

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Really? Would that be ok? Surely they need some rest? If this would work I would much rather do this

6. Im using a electric heater in my shed grow. Its fully insulated ,i set it at 65 and its never dropped below 64 degrees. And we have had tempms in the single digits for almost a week here in michigan

• Like Like x 1

7. I veg all my plants with the lights on 24 hours a a day.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm not an expert so definitely get another opinion, but people leave lights on 24/7 until flower from what I've seen...

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have learned from experience the temperature shift is very bad. It actually effects the roots uptake of nutes the most is why it is very bad. Also the leaves breathe air kinda and I am sure the swing effects its transpiration. You need to dial it in. You might be able to offset it a bit by having the lights turn off during the warmest part of the day.

This is a possibility for the first few weeks, but the plants will need rest. I am under the impression that the plant needs the dark cycle just as much as it needs the light. When the plant is in the dark it creates more roots, I am pretty sure. You might want to research that, but I have heard of starting seedlings under 24 hours and then switching after 2 weeks.

10. These are auto's so flowering should be any day now...

11. Autos will flower regardless of light schedule, I know nothing about autos, best bet is to find someone with knowledge with them. From what I've read, 24 hours is fine throughout. I would do what you are comfortable with doing personally, and see the results... especially with that huge temp drop... but I'm no expert, just my opinion

12. Let us know how the rest of the grow goes!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hi. You can veg 24 hours and never turn your light off. Your night temps are dangerously cold and the huge swing isnt ideal

Sent from my SM-J320P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. They have been under 24/7 light now for 2 days/nights and they love it! One has gone straight into flowering and smelling good, and my seedling as giant leaves on it now! They both look great! I will post a pic :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Day 9 on the seedling and Day 31 on the recovered NL Auto plant

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      785.1 KB
      Views:
  16. I always get a boost from 24 for a few weeks. After 4-5 weeks photo plants seem to get tired of it for me. I'm hoping to make 24 work all the way through sometime but lately I've been running 20/4 it saves a little electricity.

The scientific research says that cannabis is one of the rare plants that doesn't need a dark period for it's veg growth. There's only a few in nature.

17. I'm running a 300w (true power) mars hydro reflector 144 in a basement. Light on my temps are around 68 degrees and 61-59 lights off, is this too low when lights are on? I've definitely noticed slow growth but seems to be doing okay. 68 is a good temp for flowering right?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. It's a little low. Ideally it would be more in the 70's. 75 is a good target. Some strains like warmer weather some like it a little cooler. It depends on their genetic background. Most sativas prefer warmer temps. Indicas are more cold tolerant because many came from mountainous areas and cooler climates. Sativas are more tropical plants.