Quick lighting question guys.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by paulshop1983, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Can you use a 400 watt hps for all stages of grouth

Thanks for the help

2. u could but it would be ALOT better if u just got a metal halide conversion bulb. the 6500K daylight spectrum works best for veg stage

3. yep yep

4. Thanks guys.

Are these bulbs able to change over with out changing anything eles .eg. ballast.

And are they found at normal lighting stores?

5. No, if you have an hps ballast, you need an hps bulb, same with MH.
    They do however make switchable ballasts which would allow you to use two different bulbs and full spectrum bulbs.

Normal lighting stores? You wont high wattage HID's at places like home depot or walmart, you have to go to a plant growing store.

6. for my setup i have a 400w hps ballast with a MH convesion bulb. The HPS and MH bulb both came with the setup so im not positive if the balast has anything special to run the conversion bulb but i dont think it does. My thought is you should be able to just get the MH conversion bulb but dont hold me to that.

7. I dont know why Anony said that.. If you have an HPS ballast and an MH conversion bulb it will work.

8. yea thats what i thought, otherwise u would have to buy 2 seperate ballasts??? $$$

9. Thanks for the info guys it was great help.

On a second note can i just hang the light in my garage and put the plants under it or is it really ideal to inclose them into there own space.

10. it is ideal to put them in an enclosure with refective material on the walls for maximum light effiency plus its easier to maintain ideal temp and humidity.

not to mention more stealthy than out in the open in ur garage

11. you should get a metal halide to veg with and add it to your hps lamp when you flower

12. thats going to be pretty expensive to buy two ballasts for one HPS and one MH running at the same time. plus a higher electric bill. running both spectrums WILL enhance yield but only slightly.

not worth going out and buying/rigging another ballast imo

13. aregan35 is spot on:)dual spectrum =higher yields..

it'll increase your yield considerably, & if you do a grow with mh for veg & switch to hps flowering see what the yield is then do same strain with mh in conjunction with hps & i guarantee you you'll change your opinion on yields:)(example; using 1000watt mh for veg & switch to 1000 watt hps for flowering will not yield as much as one 400 watt mh & one 400 watt hps used together at same time all the way through veg & flowering,can guarantee that!..)
    as for higher elec bill ,well if it is higher,it'll cover the cost with the amount of herb you harvest & have plenty herb left to smoke. 1st harvest with mh & hps pays for extra ballast,pays for extra lecky & will still save you money from not buying more herb while waiting for next crop.
    aint too expensive running 800 watts & 2 ballasts,fans etc, most household appliances use more watts,plus using a 1000 watt & 1 ballast to 800 watts+ 2 ballasts evens it up;)

ps;goes for all ranges in wattage 2x 250 watt hps & mh together will be better than 600 watt mh veg,switching to 600 watt hps flowering etc..

dual spectrum guys is the way to go, try it then compare grows & electric your using.

plus just looking at costs of conversion bulbs in usa & very expensive especially as you loose a lot of light in the conversion.....would go with Anony on this one. get a switchable ballast & get the full benefit of your lights. if you go that way!

dont take my word ,try it then the only converting you'll do is converting your set up to dual spectrum.

one last thought before i split; "what spectrum does the sun give out?"; yep you guessed it dual spectrum (more at certain parts of the year,obviously)

jeeze a lot on dual spec here today on GC, looks like a lotta ya are allready converting:D

take care all & happy growing, peace M.:smoking::wave:

14. i'm happy i clicked on this thread. i was really close to getting a 400w hps, but now i'll try going full spectrum. thanks fellas.

15. I do agree that you do lose some light with an MH Conversion bulb in an HPS ballast. Also that lost light is converted into a bit more heat, which also isnt too good. If your really into the whole dual spectrum thing (I wish I could buy one of these!)

http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=53090

Works with 1000w HPS Ballast. Im probably going to pick one of these up hopefully!

16. Ah, yes, sorry guys, forgot about that option. :smoking: