Quick high short story

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Alm0stL0gan, Apr 1, 2012.

1. I just blazed a few bowls and the ndecided I wanted to attempt writing a science fiction/fantasty short story and so far this is what I have, tell me what you think. Please note that as I was writing it, I decided to write paragraphs elaborating upon the paragraphs I had already written, and placed them above, and I am not yet finished elaborating so please excuse me if it seems to "jump" in time or not make sense. No-where near finished:D

Here it is:

Cobblestone streets were bustling with activity, which was very uncommon for the people of this kingdom. Their King was severely in debt with neighboring larger cities in the Greater North region due to his Mana addiction. Although his bloodline was not fortunate enough (like most) to allow for becoming a Sorceror, for average people consumption of mana results in an extremely intoxicative effect, providing weaker souls to succumb to its pleasurable feeling. The problem with Mana was its high cost to obtain, as it requires heavily armored teams of Knights known as the Sentinels, who were elite warriors trained in the ancient ways of the sword, as well as technologically advanced weaponry. These Sentinels are born and die within the underground complex beneath the world, known as the Deep, never to see sunlight in their lives. They venture into the ground near the core of the world, following ancient mines and scientific outposts discovering more about the Powerful substance known as Mana. This underworld of sorts is very dangerous and requires the most advanced technology to be maintaned and charged, resulting in the highest gold price the realms have ever known.

\tThis king had attempted to create his own Mana mine with its own Sentinels to operate the machinery, to avoid third party middle man costs. He had managed to get a few tunnels down to the outer core, allowing for some Mana to reimburse him for his debts, but at this time, his debt is not yet completely abolished. In the Kings Grand Chamber at the top of the Royal Palace, the King himself was brewing a Mana elixir for himself. He slowly adjusted the different pumps and measured the percentages of each Mana type to be diffused into a hot water brew. Once a dim emerald glow emerged from a crystal bulb atop the Mana MAchine, the king removed his cup and gulped on the fresh beverage.

\t

The sky was littered with millions of buzzing flies. Uncountable numbers of small black objects darting around in the atmosphere, just high enough to be discernable, yet close enough for them to be noticed. Periodically, these "flies" would seem to pop in a small flash of light, quickly to get lost in the fray. Every person in the streets gaze was fixed upwards, staring in awe, not understanding what it was that they were witnessing. Pottery being spun was now hardening in undesirable shapes due to neglect. These fuzzy specks in the sky were slowly but surely fading away to smaller numbers. A blacksmith was the first to break the long silence, "They be fadin' away!" His exclamation recieved silent leers from those around him, who then returned their eyes to the sky. He pursed his lips and squinted his eyes, then grumpily returned to his work within the blacksmithery.

\tThe steady clanks of his hammer rang throughout the streets, carried by the stone pavement. As he raised his hammer once more, he heard another clank, followed by a slight poof. A horrifying scream erupted immediately after, Provoking the blacksmith to put his tools down yet again and head back to the street. As he was walking towards the door way, many more clanks followed, as well as screams, and through the doorway he could see people littered on the streets impaled and ripped apart by a strange black steel. the town was being showered with varying sizes of shredded metal. PAnicking people running in random directions, seeking refuge from the metal storm above, only to be struck down and nailed to the ground. The blacksmith, now huddled underneath his workbench, shivered violently with fear. Prayers to the gods, inaudibly whispered to himself as the hellstorm enveloped all that was around him. A large crash and the sound of rubble crumbling answered his prayers. A large fragment of these metal flies had came careening down from the heavens and proceeded to pummel the blacksmith into oblivion.

\tFor miles, even deep into the outlying farm lands on the edge of the kingdom's borders were bombarded with debris. When they finally stopped raining down on the ground below, few remained. Those who did however, were either badly wounded, or running for their lives towards the plains to the North. In the skies, the remaining flies were descending downward, some flew off into the far distance, and some landed into the rubble of what once was a glorious kingdom. Closer looks revealed that these "flies" were actually sleek Starships, bearing marks of war upon their metal hulls. Carbon scoring and blast marks suggested they had recently been in battle.