Questions

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by TheM*, Oct 4, 2013.

1. \t\t<div style="margin:0px 0px 0px 200px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);">\t<div style="margin:0px;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">\t<div style="margin:0px 300px 0px 0px;">\t<div style="margin:0px;">\t<blockquote class="">Hello fellow growers! [​IMG]

\tThis is my first time growing in a bubbleponic system and I've encounter some problems.[​IMG]
      \tI'm into my first week since germination growing three dark devils, and a cotton candy. 
      \tJust yesterday did I realize that there is a white spot on the rock wool cubes near the tube bringing in the water. As well as white spots all over the hydro ton grow rock. Is this normal and if not how can I fix this before it gets worse?? Please and Thank you! Your help is very appreciated! 
      [​IMG]

\tHere are some pictures showing what I am talking about. As well as my set up.
      </blockquote>\t
      \t
      \t</div>\t</div>\t</div>\t
    </div> 

Attached Files:

1. #2 bananamber, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013
    Could be mold. If not mold, then probably dried salts from nutrient water splashing up or hard water buildup. What's the humidity in your grow area? And are you using tap water (If so, what's the mineral content according to your city's water dept.?) or any kind of purified water?

If it's mold, get some hydrogen peroxide (Whatever percent standard grocery store peroxide is, I forgot) and mix 3 or 4 parts purified water to 1 part H2O2 and lightly spray the rocks.

I'd bet on dried salts though. If it is salts, just spray the hydroton with plain purified water, it usually washes right off. I don't see any tell-tale signs (that I know of) that tells me it's mold.

If you've got balls, you could lick an affected rock. If it tastes salty, it's salt buildup. I wouldn't do that though.

2. Thanks, and would this mean it is in a nute lock out (the picture)?
    I checked and noticed that the ph was a bit high.. close to 7 
    will adjusting the ph bring it back to taking in nutes again? 

Attached Files:

3. #4 bananamber, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2013
    Salt buildup in itself doesn't mean any nute lockouts. Sometimes the nutrient water splashes up and gets on the hydrotone and the light evaporates the water and leaves behind the salts.

However, if your pH is close to 7, you most definitely have a few lockouts. Namely, phosphorous, calcium and manganese. As well as low absorption rates for other nutrients Proper pH for hydro is about a 5.8.

Here's a pH chart for hydro and soil:

http://hydro-heaven.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/ph_Chart_3.208114926_std.gif

• Like Like x 1
  4. In other words i don't have to worry much about the salt?

Just correcting the ph to around 5.8 will solve the problem without having to flush it? 

5. Yes. The salt buildups are unavoidable. Just get your pH down and if the hydroton starts looking fuzzy, spray it with H2O2 in water.