Questions on progress/topping/fimming?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Captain 420, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Alright so I have two 6 week old plants this is my first grow and I just learned about topping/fimming today I feel stupid for not ever realizing this needs to be done. So here is a pic of the two. I decided to top one and fim one and I'm wondering how they look? Also do I just do this to the very top new growths or is it okay to fim every new growth around the plant especially because it's never been done and they're 6 weeks now.

image-3638197045.jpg

Here is the closest which I 'fimmed'

image-693995549.jpg

And here is the furthest that was 'topped'

image-97422810.jpg

The plants seem like they are lacking in height to me compared to other 6 week olds I see on these forums, is it because I have never done this up until this morning? Will they take off now?

2. I took some better side view shots if it helps anyone determine if they're growing really slow. I never fed them until 4 or 5 weeks in.. They are about 6 inches tall
    Closest
    image-1878518941.jpg

Furthest (also got squished if anyone's wondering about damage).

image-108960050.jpg

3. @ 6 weeks your plants should be alot bigger. How many watts you got on them?

To answer your questions though. Topping normally is done once to produce two main colas, fimming is the same concept but done higher up on the plant so it has more "y" on it. Now if you are you asking if you can keep doing it? Yes you can but you would want til you have new growth. Now that being said in the indoor enviroment you can take it to far and effect you yield for the bad. Personally I have done it more than once on a plant and was not pleased. Here is a link to a better decription on how to do it I have followed the ins in the first post and had great success.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/122559-how-fimming-topping-made-easy.html

4. #4 Captain 420, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
    They're under a 400w MH going 24-7 and have been since the start it's convertible to HPS, like I said though I only started feeding them a week ago.. Would that stunt growth that much?

So basically I can keep fimming and it will make my plants wider or taller? And I'm still unsure if I can fim around the plant on the new growths and not just the top ?

And thanks for the link man, cleared a lot of misleading thoughts.

5. Wider

if can be done all around.

lots of things.

How high above is the light? if it is to far above the light is not being used to its potensial and will affect the growth.
    What are your temps like? Cooler temps will restrict plant growth.
    How much root space do they have? And what type of soil are you using?

first three questions I had when I saw the picture.

6. H are they planted in the same pot thing or what ever that is

7. yes this is also a problem.

8. Root growth could be stunted because the plants are in the same soil close together. Also I was noticing my plants were unhappy on 24 hours of light, so I switched them to 20/4 and they started growing nicely again.

9. #9 Captain 420, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
    I've kept the light 24 inches above, and they are planted in a 3x3 crate that i made with a drain and poly with walls, they are enclosed by tinfoil and the lights always been low so I'm not losing much light.
    For soil I used sterilized organic pots and plants all purpose potting soil with some sheep manure and sandy gravel that was behind my house with some lime. I don't remember the mixture but there should be a lot of room for the two plants cause I have 4 empty 50L bags so I should have more than 200L of soil in there.

image-1137196039.jpg

10. I don't have a thermometer but I'd say it's probably 30 degree Celsius steadily pretty warm in the room. I hold my hand beside and instantly feel nice and warm and I've held it there for long periods of time staring so I at least know it's not too hot lol :p

Is it ok to switch it back to 18-6 if it was on 18-6 then switched to 24? Maybe that is what they need is dark periods. I don't want to early flower though!

11. giving them a dark peroid will make them stretch more. Switching them back would not hurt them. good luck

12. I recommend giving them a dark period, worked for me.

13. Okay guys thanks a lot for the input I'll give it a try going 18-6 again! :)

14. [quote name='"Captain 420"']I don't have a thermometer but I'd say it's probably 30 degree Celsius steadily pretty warm in the room. I hold my hand beside and instantly feel nice and warm and I've held it there for long periods of time staring so I at least know it's not too hot lol :p

Is it ok to switch it back to 18-6 if it was on 18-6 then switched to 24? Maybe that is what they need is dark periods. I don't want to early flower though![/quote]

Switch to 18-6 ASAP. Plants absorb energy throughout the day, and grow at night. They'll only flower if they're on 12-12