Questions on growing outside?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DreamsFlyHigh, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I've asked this in "Outdoor Growing", but I thought it might get more replies here.

I've read the guide and, after some trial and error, I think I'll try to follow it closely, but I have some questions.

I'm going to grow in small amount of land that I own (which is foresty). It has no water source, so would it be fine if I watered it manually? There's a decent amount of rainfall and I live in the lower part of Florida and its always around 73-85 here (give or take on cold fronts & hot days).
    Also, would it be an okay idea to just use local dirt to make it sprout and where I plant it? I have to drive a decent distance to get fertilizer and organic soil, so yeah..

As for killing off the male, does that mean just cutting it or pulling out its roots once I find out it's a male? How do you differentiate the male/females early or at all? How long would it take for my plant to flower and be ripe?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you to those who took your time to read and answer them for me :)

2. Are there any tips or warnings that anyone could give to me as well? I've never grown anything before so this is a first in that too.

3. So many outdoor questions tonight... people getting frisky with nature, I love it! haha.

Question 1 - Watering manually.. - Of course you can.

Question 2 - Local dirt - Short answer... depends on your soil. At the end of the day, like any farming, the better the soil = the better the crop. If you have soil with very little organic matter, then there isnt much (if any) nutrients for the plant to drink. If there is, then perfect. I'm in Australia, so im not familiar with floridas outdoors, but I imagine if its forestry its not going to be too bad (I could be wrong). But what I'd recommend doing anyway is prepping the soil before you plant. That is dig it up, make it nice and airy, and mix through a bag of chicken manure or mushroom compost (if you can get it). Let that settle for a week or 2. Your bud will thank you for it later!!
    Start your seeds in cups or small containers. I use egg cartons for starting my vegetable seeds, cardboard is easy to keep damp, dark, and then you can transplant the cardboard around the seed straight into the soil and it will break down. It takes allot less stress out of transplanting.

If its male, get rid of it as soon as you've discovered it. remove it from the area. And forget it ever existed. Perform an exorcism on it, do whatever you want with it, just dont let it need your females. Read the stickies to find out how to sex a plant, or youtube some vids. In short, male plants have pollen sacks (just like us!) and female plants do not. When your plant is transitioning from the veg state to the flower state is when you'l start seeing the sex. Again though, read the stickies, you'll learn more and knowledge is power.
    And how long will it take? thats up to the weed gods to decide. Outdoor is hard to tell, especially without knowing the type of weed it is. To complicate things even further, some types like indoor grows, some types like outdoor. Some types like both.

My last advice is this. Follow my advice. Read stickies first. Then prepare your soil the best you can. Then read more. And learn the difference between over watering, and under watering. This can make or break you.
    Good luck

4. Thank you so much! This cleared up a lot for me!