questions on first grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by n1ck 210, Mar 25, 2008.

1. hi I am planning on growing a couple of plants for my own smoking use. I have read all the grow guides and other helpful threads but I still have a few questions.

I plan on using a empty 55 gallon fish tank to grow them in. would that be ok or do they need to be grown in pots? the tank is 4' L x 1' W x 18" H

I plan on putting in 4 seeds so I can hopefully have a couple females. is that too many for the room given

The tank is in my garage. will I still need more ventilation than there already is?

thanks

2. that tank would work fine, just divide the inside with pieces of wood or something, and line the outside with something so no light gets to the roots.

3. I'm not an aquarium is ideal. I'm not saying it won't work, but...

Your height is very limited at 18"

Where is your drainage?

You need some air movement regardless of the location of the grow.

I would think that it might be better just to use a cardboard box with better vertical dimensions..., but I don't know what your monetary, size, light, and stealth constraints are.

Be sure the tank is your best option before proceeding. Good luck.

4. thanks for the responses

the 18" is the height of the tank, there is no top so I dont have a height limit

there would be no drainage in the tank. is it really needed? what problems could I run into without it?

I am also having some problems finding lighting fixtures to hold my lights. I have 4 42 watt cfl's but I can't find anything that can hold one over every plant. any suggestions? I plan on upgrading to HPS eventually

thanks

5. oh shit my bad, i completely over looked drainage. yes drainage is very necessary. you can use a diamond tip drill bit and drill a bunch of small holes in the bottom.