Questions on exhaust for grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Budsworth, Jan 15, 2010.

1. You rock Johnk :metal:

Hmmm...is there a specific way to figure out the size of the stack necessary? Or just go big and not worry about it?

2. The stack's area in square inches should total the area of the two legs. For example, a 6" duct has a cross-sectional area of 28 sq. in. (area of a circle= pi * r^2). An 8" duct has an area of 50 sq. in. I'd go with a 10" stack which has a cross sectional area of 78 sq. in. which is exactly the total of the two legs!

3. Thanks again, John.

4. Yes, but I did forget to mention that the fan would be blowing into the flower room (exhausting veg room) to help control veg room temps. It's always better to go bigger and just dial it down with a speed controller to adjust the room temps. This goes for the main exhaust fan in the vacuum box as well.

Just had a thought before I posted! Get rid of the fan on the floor between the two rooms and run like a 8' duct from the Veg room to the vacuum box with maybe a booster fan inline to help move the air the long length of the duct work. Lots of fancy things can be done to fine tune this setup so you can control temps in both rooms separately with the one fan and filter... i.e. a dampener in the duct work to the veg room so that it wiil close when temps get too low and to help control the humidity. You would still need a vent from the veg to the flower room to provide fresh air to the flower area.

View attachment 332165

5. [quote name='Budsworth']Like this? (minus the filter until I know where that goes).

[​IMG][/QUOTE Yeah, the filter would have to be a 10" along with a fan. It would have very unstable temps though running the fan all the time unless your intake was no less than 60F, so I dunno if that would be the best thing.

What I would do is seperate the light ventalation, and the temp/odor ventalation.
    I would go completely sealed especially if this is gonna be around for more than a year.

I would vent the lights from intake to- light -1-2-3 to outside of the room somewhere

I would completely forget about exhausting and I would add a 12,000 btu window unit plus CO2.

Maybe a 6" vortex in combo with a DIY carbon filter in the flower room if you wanna go the extra mile

Maybe look into Dehumidifyer circuit as well cuz you probably need a 75 pint unit. I always oversize though. I got a cheap temp controller from Home Depot for attic fans. They keep the temp within 7F

6. johnk's idea is alot simpler of an idea. I was just overthinking it and trying to make it so you could control both rooms separately. You could still do it the same way he has it with the closed loop for the lights but put a fan in one of the vents between the veg and flower room to help control temps in the veg room or use two smaller exhaust fans and two smaller filters and run both rooms separately. You don't really need to go all the way thru to roof, just vent to the crawl space in the attic.

7. It's the attic (overhead)...OR the crawlspace (under the floor)...and venting into either will cause moisture issues and mold.

I'm still a homeowner 1st. ;)

8. Attic meaning somewhere you can stand in, crawlspace being one you can't.

Anyway... You get the picture! Just trying to help out. You could always run the vent tube
    to one of the eve vents so it doesn't fill up the attic with the moist air. If you live somewhere where it's already really humid, the air from the room might have less humidity in it than the outside air anyway.

9. I live in a very dry place. My house is very old...and unfortunately there are no soffit vents in the eves.

I'm just going to run a roof vent. Never done it before. Sure it can't be that hard.

10. Well that sucks! Just make sure you get all the right supplies and that it doesn't leak!

I'm sure you've gotten plenty of ideas by now....Good Luck!!

Ahh. If your near a bathroom with a vent fan you could use that!

11. Nope. 1 bathroom in this tiny house...no vent....and...it's connected to the kitchen. Someone takes a shit and the kitchen smells :mad:

I can't wait to get a bigger house.

12. Sounds like you need a carbon filter in the bathroom too! Hahaha!!:D

13. Couple of questions before I put my brain to use.
    Do you already have the equipment?
    Do you have A/C or would you consider A/C just for that room.
    Are going to run CO2?
    Are you concerned that your door is opening up to the flowering room. Meaning can't open the door during the dark cycle.
    Would you be opposed to using the window if your neighbors couldn't tell. (Just look like blinds and no smell.)
    Would you be opposed to changing you veg light?
    Are you running hydro or dirt.

All the questions will make more sense later.

:smoke:

14. I agree. Especially if he changed his veg light. It also depends on if you have central A/C and heating in the room and where the duct for it is located. Smaller light in the veg room on a light mover you wouldn't need to worry about controlling the room as much.

15. #35 Budsworth, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
    Couple of questions before I put my brain to use.

Do you already have the equipment? no. 1 1000w nextgen ballast on the way, and hood. Rest with taxes.

Do you have A/C or would you consider A/C just for that room. No A/C. Would I consider it? I'd rather not. Even during the hot summer it gets cool at night. Have never had an A/C in any home I've lived in here...and that's been 30+ years. That's why I was going to draw from the crawl space. Stays very cool down there year round. There is an exhaust fan to the outside air. As long is it's not on, fresh air comes in.

Are going to run CO2? No.

Are you concerned that your door is opening up to the flowering room. Meaning can't open the door during the dark cycle. Was planning on hanging panda film just inside the door.

Would you be opposed to using the window if your neighbors couldn't tell. (Just look like blinds and no smell.) Sure. My fear was the sound of rushing air through a crack in the window...and/or the escape of fan sound. Her bedroom window is 30' across from that window. Great lady. Really likes us. And even though wife and I have our MMJ cards...it would be easier just to keep her in the dark.

Would you be opposed to changing you veg light? Not a problem.

Are you running hydro or dirt. Dirt

Also...electrician friend is coming over on Sunday. I'm planning on 1 220 20amp circuit and 2 110 20 amp circuits. He's coming over to reassess my panel. I have two open slots now...were going to consolidate to open two more.

16. #36 Budsworth, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2010
    To be specific, Dorado...I'm trying to make plan for how big the room could get. I'm currently working on the infrastructure (electrical and ventilation) for where it would need to be if I got to the point where I'd add more and more and more.

I plan on adding one more light set up with tax returns. When or if I add a third will depend on how efficient I can get that.

I'm currently helping a long time grower expand the room he's been using for a decade and a half. I'm also helping another friend get started in the basement of his house. What I have discovered:

Expanding electrical and ventilation while plants are growing = major bitch

While you see me here asking about how to correctly install ventilation...it is simply because if I begin to expand the overall grow...I want the "USB" version....just plug and play. ;)

On edit: And the reason I ordered 1000w right off the bat...long time grower guy said not to waste my time with smaller with the size room I have. He then said if he had known then when he started the room what he knows now...he would have gone straight to 1000's. He's on 1000's now...and his 400 and 600 ballasts are going unused.