Questions on auxiliary shitbox car.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Jason Van Jason, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Alright, so I currently have 2 vehicles that I use, one for my actual job that I need to have in good shape, as it needs to be reliable and my shitbox for my second job, where I drive around people who have mental disabilities and they do things like shit and puke in my vehicle, thus, I do not want to use my good vehicle to do this, which leads me to my current question.

My shitbox has 311,000 KM on it currently; over the past 2 years, I have put about 140,000K on it and put about... $800 into it, which includes the breakdown that just happened. Examining the car myself, I found that it would not start, but had power and was turning over... Figured timing belt, went through, found the timing belt still in time, however the PSI was very low.

Going through and testing each of the 4 valves, all 4 across the board were creating very low PSI. Saying fuck this, I decided to take it to an auto shop homie owns, so that he could look into it further and even he was completely baffled by what the problem was, thinking maybe a total engine rebuild. Getting a call about an hour ago, he says that all the timing components were functional, yet the PSI still low, so he added some oil into it the engine, fucked with the starter and viola, the vehicle starts up.

Timing belt does not need to be replaced or even calibrated, so this whole thing is a mystery to me... Here is my question: Do I just drive this shitbox into the ground, or take it to the wreckers and get what I can for it, while there has been no catastrophic failure that has caused severe damage... Just did the alternator about 2 months ago, so that could be pulled.

Thoughts? I am thinking of just getting into something a lil' newer, however I also need to take into account that anything over 10 years old needs an insurance inspection. I do need a vehicle for this second job I am doing, as the income generated is nothing to scoff at.

2. An old car with a lot of miles. Smells like puke. Crank but no start. Homie adds oil and fucked with the starter and now you're back on the road again.
    Sounds like a success story to me.
    Without knowing what kind of car, what motor it has, or being able to see it, I can only find one thing common among internal combustion engines in your story. How much oil did he add and why? What did the oil look like that was in it? Oil's job is to clean, cool, seal, and lubricate. Fresh flowing oil cools as it washes away metal shavings and debris, etc. Moving parts are lubricated as they ride on a film of oil. That same film of oil seals small gaps between parts.
    It's not uncommon to flood an aging car during a cold start attempt. As the poorly vaporized gasoline builds up in the cylinder, it will wash away the oil film that creates the seal between the rings and cylinder wall. No/low sealing = no/low compression. All that gas ends up in the oil, so an oil and filter change would be in order. And most times have to pull the plugs to dry them.

Something to think about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ask your boss for a company car

to carry the company clients around in

he says no?

you get a real job

maybe selling meds to peeps who acrtually care

good luck

4. The junkyard will give you the same amount for it whether it runs or not, might as well see how long it can last

5. I had moved it from my driveway to the side of the road, about a 30 second trip, but like you said, started it in literally -30 weather, cold start.

Buddy continued working on the car once it came to life, installed a new power steering pump and put the vehicle together, all for free, so I am feeling pretty good about it... Just gonna drive the fuckin' thing into the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. They are coming tomorrow to junk my old shit box; I bought a 2008 buick allure for just under 4k with about 140k on it, was a really good deal.

7. It sounds like not a bad deal so don't blame you that you wouldn't have known. next time you buy a car ask the man or take it for a test drive in future. If they say no then it's most likely because there's a fault with the car so walk away.

Maybe go for a better built car because no ones heard of buick over here in europe so that means the cars are heaps of shit just built for america so next time get like a...... . Mercedes, caddilac, BMW, ford, dodge, chevrolet, probably good to get a Mercedes I've seen those cars go for miles.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. im looking for a shitbox car, gonna run the gambler 500 here in oregon

9. Buick is a higher end GM product. Not bad cars at all, my dad swears by them. Tiger Woods used to be a spokesperson for the brand till he got caught whoreing. We don't export them, because you don't deserve them. Lol jk

10. Honda. Let the hate begin. I would have picked up a cheap Honda odyssey and if it went south later, I'd yank the engine and ecu and sell it for more than i paid for the van.