Questions needing answers: first time grower here

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Beebs420, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I started the germination process yesterday with the paper towel method as was described in germination 420, and I have a few questions I would really appreciate some experts answers on seeing as this is my first time growing:

About how long will they take to germinate in the paper towels and ready to be moved to the solo cups?

What is the best soil to use?

Is the plastic bag over the cup really necessary?

After I put the seedling in the cup of soil should I have a direct light on it?

:confused_2:
    :bongin:

2. Q1: it varries from seed to seed depending on the genetics... be patient i've heard of it taking up to 12 days in some cases.

Q2: Check out Dankohzee's seedling starter mix thread

Q3: it helps until u get a sprout.

Q4: no light at all until u get a sprout then have the light as close as possible throughout veg, but be careful of them growing into the light.

read read read everything under marijuana cultivation - best advice on the site

3. This what I use and it works 98% of the time.

I wet a paper towel fold it in half put the seeds in it and fold it again, kinda like a burrito then i stick it in a ziploc bag and put it on a heat mat (or something warmer than 75 degrees)

My seeds have never taken longer than 24 hours to germ

If they are older seeds, or you dont exactly know their age, you can always soak them in a shot glass with water and a half a cap full of hydrogen peroxide overnight then do the paper towel

As far as how long usually within a few days max but make sure the area is dark, the paper towel stays moist and the seeds stay warm

Also, as soon as the seed germs and I transplant it I do put it under the light. Eventually it will sprout and start reaching for that light. just make sure the root is not exposed to the light

be careful though when handling the germed seeds i always use tweezers

4. Thank you for the detailed info and I definately will check out the soil mix thread. Hopefully within a few days or so they will start to germinate. I will soon update and post pics of the status of the growth.

5. i got a heating pad at k-mart for like 15 bucks works great on low and i put my plastic baggie with paper towel and seeds in a crown bag too keep it from getting too hot on the bottom