Questions for those who have been busted for possession

Discussion in 'General' started by SoundBySilence, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Well, i live in NY and just got caught with a little under a half 8th of nug. I gotta go to court and cant afford a lawer, so i was wondering what happens in this situation and what my plead should be. I think i will plead not guilty at the arraignment, but when actual court rolls around, whats the best way to get a reduced sentence without a lawer?

2. Well if u have to go to court the law should appoint one for you... in your meranda (sp?) rights it states "If you cannot afford a lawer, one will be appointed for you" so yeah..

3. Thanks for the input, but I'm really only looking for replies from people who have been in the situation, and/or know what they are talking about when it comes to the laws and court systems.

4. Trust me buddy, I know what I'm talking about my brother has no money to his name, lives with his friends, and has been busted for possesion 5 or more times, so don't tell me i dont know what I'm talking about.

5. ok, so if you know so much, how do i go about getting a reduced sentence? You obviously dont know what you are talking about because you only get your maranda rights read to you if you are placed under arrest. A first time offese for possession in NYS is a max of a $100 fine (ticket equivlent to a minor traffic violation), no incarceration (sp?). My problem is i do not want possession in my record and i would like to pay less of a fine (hence the reduced sentence). k, thx, bye.

6. Well I'll answer this question by question.
    1.Here in michigan, if you are caught with marijuana, you are placed under arrest, therefore you get meranda rights.

2.You would need a lawer to get a reduced sentance, he would need to pleed with the judge. Other than that if its under 20 grams(which it was) its a misdameaner.

3. I don't really think you can get it wiped off your record unless your a minor (under 18, which you aren't suppose to be here, but lets just say you ARE, which i dont really think you are).. If you we're a minor you could do diversion and have it whiped off your record, but if your over 18 you would need to talk to a lawer for exact info on how to get it whiped off.

7. Here's the answer:

If you want a reduced fine, you need a lawyer. The court will appoint one for you if you can't afford it. That's what the Miranda rights thing was about...it's just a guaranteed right you have that you'll have access to a lawyer whether you can afford one or not.

If you still don't want a lawyer, you're out of luck. Pay the $100 and don't get caught again.