Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Questions for the experienced

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by stj529, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Hey everyone, my name's Sam, and I'm new to the forum.

I've been smoking weed for about a month now, and I gotta say, its pretty awesome. I've learned a lot in the last month from lurking this site, but I still have some questions.

Is the magic flight launch box worth the money for a beginner vape? My main concern is durability. To those that have owned one for some time, how have they held up? Also, I started with using a glass pipe, but I'm not so sure that I like it. Bongs are appealing, but even after reading the beginner's guide, I don't think I could make a good purchase. If anyone can suggest a bong that is inexpensive, small, durable, and has low drag, I might consider getting one.

I also have questions about prices. The bud I have been getting is pale green, seems pretty hairy (although I have nothing to compare it to). It smells like pine with a bit of sweetness, is a little sticky, and my grinder collects what seems like a good amount of kief from it, but again, nothing to compare it to.

My dealer's prices
    1g 20
    2g 40
    8th 60
    quarter 110
    half 200
    ounce 350

Does that seem fair? It gets me pretty baked if I smoke 0.3-0.5g.

Any answers to my many questions would be greatly appreciated. I've also read all of the guides, so please don't respond with links to them!

2. #2 BlazedPlatypus, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
    I started with a pipe and I stuck with a pipe.  Although I did upgrade.  After I upgraded to a $60ish pipe I haven't stopped using it.  If you don't like using a pipe, I'd suggest a bong.  But I have never used an actual nice bong, just a homemade gravity bong--which got me rocketed.

If I'm going to give you any advice on smoking, I'd advise you to keep your tolerance low.  Stay in touch with reality.  Don't get caught up in weed too much.  If you smoke daily, do it after you've finished your daily tasks.  You don't want to get too caught up in getting high that you spend a chunk of your money on it frequently.  If you smoke infrequently and thus keep your tolerance low, you will get way higher off of way less.  I have had no problems smoking over the past year and I don't feel like I've gotten stupider (which is actually a word).  In fact, I've gotten smarter and it has changed my perspective.  I make sure not to smoke too much, and I keep a 1/4 ounce for 3 months.  It runs me $90.  As far as prices go, feel free to ask for a discount when you buy large amounts. 

But I cannot stress it enough: do not smoke too much.  On Grasscity, I see people all the time saying "I smoke a half ounce a week".  I don't know how the hell you could ever smoke that much, but you don't want to be that person.  Don't smoke a lot, and get higher off of less, and in turn, weed won't control you (not to say it controls them, but you have a handle if you smoke less).

3. #3 iVapeTooMuch, Apr 6, 2014
    First, the MFLB is pretty durable and they have amazing customer service. If anything does happen (screen tear, connection problems, etc), they will work with you to try to fix the problem and if all else fails, the lifetime warranty will allow you to get a new unit free of charge.
    Vaporizing does give a different high than smoking. It's more of a head high and less of a body stone. Of course, vaping at a higher temp will allow for more of a body high and vaping an indica will also produce somewhat of a body high.
    Most, if not all vaporizers preform better with dry herb that's ground up extremely well, the MFLB especially. Finely ground weed will give it more surface area, therefore a more even toast.
    I don't know where you're located, but since you're somewhat new to smoking, the prices are okay. As you progress, you will keep making new connections and prices will hopefully get better. Keep in mind that as long as you are happy, price should not matter too much.
    Also, visit a local smoke shop and just look around. If you are planning to buy a bong or bubbler, ask to see the piece with water inside to make sure there are no cracks and/or other complications. As a new smoker buying their first bong, pretty much anything will do because you can always upgrade in the future. Try to at least get a glass on glass bong.

I smoke on 1/5. I was always taught to reduce fractions.

4. Those prices are fucking ridiculous... Where are you from?

5. #5 stj529, Apr 6, 2014
    Pittsburgh. It wasn't like I bought from the first dealer I met. I found a few, but their prices were pretty much the same. The guy I've been buying from is the one I know the best, and am most comfortable doing business with.

6. You got it down for a beginner. Those prices are really normal. I know they get cheaper in medical states but the prices you listed look like a standard average. What I would do for the pipe situation is just take like $100 and go to a local smoke shop and get the piece of your dreams. Bubblers are nice also.

7. Listen to moreherb...go buy youself a nice bong...don't get sucked into paying a fortune for one that unless you are really careful or lucky will most likely end up shattered anyway ( it happens)...and as for the prices...well, Im a grower, so high prices are a ok with me knowing how much trouble and risk went into making a saleable crop of properly trimmed and cured bud....

8. I feel bad for people that pay that much. Damn.

Anyways, take $80 or so and go to your local head shop. That's what I did. You'd be surprised by what you can find. I found a beautiful bong that I'm absolutely in love with for only $35. It's not huge but it's a decent size!

9. I would, but the tobacco shop employees might be suspicious that I'll take it home and smoke weed, since its illegal.

10. learn to roll blunts n buy humidor ... and your gettn screwed with thos e prices

What are they gonna do? Haha. They can't do anything.

12. How do you get an AutoFlower to grow taller before she starts to Bud???

13. Why would they be suspicious even if it's illegal..? Most of the people who work there are chill, and smoke weed. So I wouldn't even worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. #15 BakedSnarf, Apr 6, 2014

I caught myself laughing and shaking my head at this, it's just so ignorant.  :laughing:  OP, who the fuck cares? You're going to find out as you get older that people don't really give a shit what you do with your money and your time. They're not going to do anything about it, you're giving them money for an item that they sell in their store!

As for your post, the prices you've listed are ok, but certainly not the best and you should aim for prices that typically stay around 10$/g, that's what I pay anyway with discounts coming in around 1/4 for $50.

What a shame that none of you got the joke.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/tokers-qa/1246734-your-open-question-tobacco-shop-employees-suspicious-youre-there-buy-stuff-weed-use.html

16. I didn't really like pipes when I first starting smoking either, since I was new to it, every hit I took was really harsh and I felt like throwing up.  Once I moved on to a bong it was worth the while.  If your going to get a basic bong, you can get a plastic one from a smoke shop for about $15 depending on where you live, but they don't have to much drag and it still gets you plastered.  And for your dealer, I hate to say he is over charging you for the quality of bud he is selling.  The average cost of an 8th where I live is between 40-50 of mid grade pot.

17. can't help with the vape but i was looking at getting a launch box because i heard good things about them and i like the look from what ive read vapes give you more of a head high so if you like being couch locked you would probably be better off without. For bongs they will get you baked fast and for a long time you could buy plastic/acrylic but they are pretty much crap after a couple uses so if you can invest in a nice glass piece around 70-80 bucks. The prices vary on where you live from the prices you put its what i pay where i live (texas) 

18. Welcome to the site Sam! I honestly do not like vapes because I mostly smoke oil, so vapes don't do anything for me, like at all. But I know plenty of people with the mflb and they all seem to like it, but they also have bongs for when they actually want to get high and not just buzzed.

Now when it comes to bongs there is a line. When starting out its acceptable to go cheap. You could get a rubber grommet bong cuz their cheaper, but I suggest a glass on glass. Google image to see the difference. You can get cheap ones for 20-50 that work and do their job but nothing special. A decent bing will run you between 100-200 and a good piece will cost you 300+ but honestly you can get away with a cheap 8 inch piece and be fine until you feel like investing more.

If your east coast then those are fairly standard prices, if your west coast your getting screwed.

Here I can get
    $10 for 1.25
    $20 for 2.5
    $30 for 3.75
    $40 for 5
    $80 for a half
    $120-150 for an ounce
    $400-450 for a qp
    $1000 for a pound
    $1500 for 1.5 pounds