Questions for new grow with QBs.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bigolenugs19, Dec 10, 2018.

1. I am looking at getting back into the hobby after about 6 years off. I previously used 600w/1000w hps/mh but sold my lights when i stopped before. So after doing some research and attempting to find the most recent "top of the line" tech, i stumbled across Quantum boards by HLG. My plan is to use my 4'×4'×7.5' tent to grow 4 plants using 4 qb288 with heatsinks. I will have a 6" exhaust fan pulling air out of the tent and ducting at the bottom of the tent to bring air in? (Not experienced with ventilation in tents so if theres a better plan, please let me know). My question is with the 4 qb288s, will i need further cooling? I will also have an oscillating fan at ground level blowing ait upwards.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I am a HPS man but as far as the ventilation goes, I would agree with a 6" extraction and a 4" intake should be fine mate

3. 4x QB-288s is gonna get expensive pretty quick. Personally I would run 4x of the QB-96 Elite V2 boards with heatsinks. There are several driver options. I have two of them, and run a separate HLG-185H-54a drivers to each QB-96 board.

If I were just getting started again, and I had a little money to spend on a nice setup, I would want a lighting setup that is on the cutting edge of indoor lighting, and something that will last at least a few years. You don’t want to buy old, antiquated lighting.

The QB-288s are by no means antiquated — especially with the V2 diodes — but the QB-96 Elite V2 is the new light on the block (so to speak) and nearly all of the seasoned, experienced growers who have been growing with quantum boards for most of the year....all seem to prefer the QB-96 Elite V2 boards. The results speak for themselves. I have been growing with quantum boards since April of this year, and I have definitely noticed a big difference in my plants that are u see my QB-96 lights.

Also, I believe you’ll spend less money on 4x QB-96 Elite V2s than you would 4x QB-288s. It will depend on which drivers you choose if course. I could be wrong here I haven’t done the math.

I cast my vote with the 96s. But if you really want some 288s, I’ll sell you mine and I’ll get two more QB-96s lol

[​IMG]

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Like Like x 1
  4. mh and hps are still great, and will outperform QB from my experience, using good bulbs. You are going to be using inefficient lighting and a lot of heat to deal with. Your temperature in your tent will also need to account for how cold is the air entering your tent, Personally i'm using QB now and the heat is not really an issue, but in tents heat can turn up pretty quick, I use an 8 inch fan to pull air out it really doesn't cost much more With your tent size 6' should be great though. but make sure your tent has 8 inch holes to support it, if you want to use a bigger one. also 4x4 with 4 plants is great just make sure u start to flower soon before they get too big otherwise your wasting time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Too warm in the tent? Mount the drivers outside.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hps and MH are no match for quantum boards. I get 1g/ watt without even trying and have done up to 1.5g/ watt and seen 2g’s/watt with everything dialed. These are the most efficient led diodes on the market and at a reduction of about 20% of watts you can get an increase in harvest over HID. As mentioned before, if heat is an issue, mount drivers outside tent. You will need to cycle the air so a 6” exhaust is still needed.

If you can invest now, the qb96elite v2 are great

• Like Like x 1
  7. Just put in two more 288’s
    Wish I had 4-96

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Everyone is saying get the qb96, im looking at HLGs site and they are all out of the combo that comes with a heatsink and I cant find the heatsink alone. Is there a place I can find one for the QB96 elite v2? Cause if I can then I will go for the qb96

Sent from my SM-G965U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Call and get on a preorder list. I have 12- qb120’s in my 4x4 and 2 qb96elite in a 2x4. The qb96elite is just a little more intense and versatile

• Like Like x 1
  10. According to HLG
    Any 120mm sink should work
    Alibaba built some sinks for me haven’t got them yet. Red pin fin 120mm sink. Takes awhile to get it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Oh yeah. I'm sorry I forgot to mention they are out of stock at the moment. HLG is good about restocking their stuff — they run out regularly. I had to wait a couple weeks to get my QB-132s. If you'll call or email HLG and tell them you want to get some QB-96 with heatsinks, they will make sure your order is fulfilled as soon as they get them in stock....instead of waiting for them to go back in stock and ordering on their website. I wouldn't take the chance that they'll stay in stock long enough for you to order the ones you want. HLG will make sure you don't get passed over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. If you're down with assembling stuff QBs will be good. You could also do linear strips straight from samsung and buy uchannel at like home depot. Similar effect different layout.