Questions before I start

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by yungbud, Jan 12, 2011.

1. First thank you for any and all people that respond and answer my questions. I know the vets in here are sick of answering the same or similar questions time and time again. So once again thank you in advance.

I am getting my medical marijuana card in a about 15 days. I have been working on a closet to grow in. The dimensions are 48" deep x 39" wide x 96" height.

I have been on here reading and my thoughts are to go with a 400W HPS setup. It would be ideal for lumens per sq ft and watts per sq ft. Problem is HEAT, I am worried about that because it is impossible for me to install exhaust fan, intake etc... I will put to small stationary fans in the closet and a bigger osciliting fan outside of the closet blowing into it. I will be trying to keep the closet open as much as possible during the lighting stages of Veg and Flowering.

My question is that going to be circulation to reduce heat and provide enough CO2 for the plants? I am hoping to put 6 plants in there, is that enough space? My house temperature is normally 65-67 F and I live in a cold climate so I probably need some of the heat from the lamp to keep enough heat during the night times when the light is out. Also what size pots? I was looking at 8" but haven't seen much on this subject.

Thanks
    yungbud

2. then save a seeds life and your time... don't grow... if you cant vent your grow,the proper way its a total waste...

3. Tihspeed

then save a seeds life and your time... don't grow... if you cant vent your grow,the proper way its a total waste...

So you are saying that regardless how many fans I have to move air around it is a waste because I am not installing a bathroom exhaust fan in the closet? Also I am going to be keeping the door open while the light is on 90% of the time.

hmmm.....The room temp right now is 66F and from what I have read a 400W HPS would probably raise that about 14-16 degrees. So I will go with the high end 82F. I would think some decent fans would be able to move out atleast 5-7 degrees out of there to keep at ideal temp.

Please explain as to why it is a waste.

4. #4 Flight96, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
    I currently grow in my closet. I have a 400w HPS and 6 plants going in there right now. I have one fan constantly blowing on my air-cooled hood that my light is in... I have no heat stress problems what so ever. My plants sit about 7 inches from the light.
    [​IMG]

5. What are the dimesions of your grow space Flight96?
    Do you have to leave the door open when light is on?
    Do all hoods air cooled? I was looking at one from HTS supply but I don't think it is air cooled.

Whats your average temp with the light on and door closed?

6. I've got about 5 and a half to 6 feet of height the width is roughly 3and half feet to 4.

I don't have to leave the door open when the lights on. The fan keeps things nice and cool in there. I don't have a thermometer so i'm not exactley sure how hot it gets.

In terms of air-cooled hoods. If the case that your bulb is in generally looks like mine then yea, its air-cooled

7. Your space is aproximatly what mine is. I have a 400w hps/mh system and i have no problem keeping my growspace 85 degrees and under simply using a fan, and I dont have any need to leave my door open. Good Luck

8. Thx....it looks like I can confirm 2 grows with similar area and light that aren't having a heat issue. I feel reassured now. So I will go ahead and order my light now.

9. you have to have intake and exhaust even at night for fresh air to get into the grow room

10. Good Point Micromaster!

Ok so I have been killing myself trying to find a way to have good ventilation. I came across room to room fans. They provide enough CFM for the room size. I can't cut the walls but I can cut the door. It will be difficult to install these in the door but I'm sure it is possible.

Has or is anyone using one of these room to room fans?

11. I seriously doubt the need for more than 1 fan in a closet that small.

But to each his own;)

12. I too am a medicinal marijuana closet grower my first grow i went with a 400 w hortilux i pushed about .25 g/w on 2 plants i have now switched to a 1000w enhanced hortilux my temps average around 80 w no exhaust fan but i am keeping the temps around 80 in the day and 60 at night i will def need ac this summer my light is roughly 16 inches from the canopy w no problem my 400 i just about kept it right on top of the canopy

13. Do you add CO2 to your cab?

14. No i have not yet attempted to use co2 but after this harvest its moving time and i think i will use a flower room and add it there heard nothing but good things i bet i could reach my .5g/w goal w co2