Questions about the vent holes in my new tent - LED Wholesalers GYO1001 62-Inch x 36

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mattstud36, Jan 19, 2012.

1. #1 mattstud36, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
    Hi all,

I have been growing my plant under a T-5 fluorescent light on top of a work bench, and I recently decided that I want to kick things up a notch. I ordered a 62X36X20 grow tent, a 600 watt HPS light along with fans and such. The whole thing is all captured in my grow journal (link is in my signature if you are interested in checking it out).

I have the tent together now, and it's not really what I was anticipating. I was thinking that there would just be holes for the fans to be mounted to. This tent has long "sleeves" out of the vent holes. I'm I just supposed to jam the intake and exhaust fans in there and then somehow mount them to the frame with zip ties? I have a picture included of the inside of the top of the tent. Hopefully it will help better explain what I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. #2 Doc-J, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Youll have to get creative yes if you want to use some sort of house or pc fan. The holes are made that way because most larger grows use ducting and inline fans. I got the same tent in 48 x 48 x 76 and the sleeves are perfect for 6" ducting.

3. #3 mattstud36, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
    Thanks for the reply!

Good to hear. I ordered 2 6-inch duct line fans, but they haven't arrived yet. I was planning on connecting them straight to the vent holes, but I think that I will have to run a piece of duct work tubing in the middle of them in order to make it work.... Something like the image I attached.

These are the fans I have on the way: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YFADW8/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Does anyone agree with the approach I was thinking about?

5. #5 Doc-J, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    [quote name='"mattstud36"']

Does anyone agree with the approach I was thinking about?[/quote]

It should work for you. I personally dont care for those fans. The cfm rating on those is measured unloaded. Meaning once you add a filter and ducting they wont flow anywhere near that cfm rating. I prefer the high velocity inline fans. They cost a bit more, but move twice the air of the small fans. This is the one I went with, got it off ebay for around $80 shipped. Even with a filter, air cooled hood, and about 10' of ducting it will suck the walls in on my tent a little with my speed controller on low. They are loud though at max rpms. The speed controller helps that tough.

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-6in-High-Velocity-Inline-Fan.asp

You dont need an intake fan. If you have a good enough exhaust fan then passive intakes are more than adequate. Not to mention having one fan pulling in and another blowing out can make it harder to maintain negative pressure.

Theres quite a few ways to do things though. Its always good to consider what works well for your budget as well.

6. [quote name='"joker865"']

It should work for you. I personally dont care for those fans. The cfm rating on those is measured unloaded. Meaning once you add a filter and ducting they wont flow anywhere near that cfm rating. I prefer the high velocity inline fans. They cost a bit more, but move twice the air of the small fans. This is the one I went with, got it off ebay for around $80 shipped. Even with a filter, air cooled hood, and about 10' of ducting it will suck the walls in on my tent a little with my speed controller on low. They are loud though at max rpms. The speed controller helps that tough.

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-6in-High-Velocity-Inline-Fan.asp

You dont need an intake fan. If you have a good enough exhaust fan then passive intakes are more than adequate. Not to mention having one fan pulling in and another blowing out can make it harder to maintain negative pressure.

Theres quite a few ways to do things though. Its always good to consider what works well for your budget as well.[/quote]

Joker, I really appreciate all the info! I guess I will try using the two fans that I have ordered. One as an exhaust through the top, and the other on a direct line to cool the light with no intake fan. If I cannot maintain good temps that way then I will look to pick up the fans that you suggested. I'll have a much better idea what I will need to do once I get it all together early next week.

Thanks again!

7. Its simple ... I have the LED wholesaler 79x79x79 tent, just put it up yesterday, and I ran into the same issue ... that stuopid sleeve.

For 1, you dont just "stic your fans" in there ... you put ducting though those holes. then the ducting leads to your fan. The fans arent actually attached to the tent.

Here is an example ... I had to cut the sleeve 75% off to get my ducthrough through it ...
    [​IMG]

Here too ... you can see the ducting going out of the holes
    [​IMG]

8. [quote name='"MaineCronic"']Its simple ... I have the LED wholesaler 79x79x79 tent, just put it up yesterday, and I ran into the same issue ... that stuopid sleeve.

For 1, you dont just "stic your fans" in there ... you put ducting though those holes. then the ducting leads to your fan. The fans arent actually attached to the tent.

Here is an example ... I had to cut the sleeve 75% off to get my ducthrough through it ...

Here too ... you can see the ducting going out of the holes
    [/quote]

Cronic... You are the man! I will have to take that same approach and hope the two fans I ordered are strong enough. I really appreciate the pics too! Thanks, bro!

9. yea dude no problem ... maybe with using those you should have as little ducting as possible, as in try to get your fan as close to your tent as you can, and then use ducting to get through the hole.

If you ordered them, see if you can do an exchange, or get your money back.

the high velocity fans are SO worth it... I find those to be more for just moving air around the tent.

I have a 170CFM for the smll tent and a 424CFM fan for the big one... the great thing is they sell speed controllers for like 15 bucks ... so you can dial it into the exact speed you need / want...

10. [quote name='"MaineCronic"']yea dude no problem ... maybe with using those you should have as little ducting as possible, as in try to get your fan as close to your tent as you can, and then use ducting to get through the hole.

If you ordered them, see if you can do an exchange, or get your money back.

the high velocity fans are SO worth it... I find those to be more for just moving air around the tent.

I have a 170CFM for the smll tent and a 424CFM fan for the big one... the great thing is they sell speed controllers for like 15 bucks ... so you can dial it into the exact speed you need / want...[/quote]

Ok cool. I'll try out what I have early next week and let you know how it's looking. Worst case I should be able to return them like you said. I'll post back next week with some pics to let you know. Thanks!

11. Mainecronic,

I finally got everything all set up... Long story short, I think the fans I picked up are fine. I have 2 fans as exhaust fans blowing out of my tent, and a third fan that sucks all the exhaust into a carbon filter. I put some pics up at the end of my grow journal (the link is in my signature if you are interested in checking it out). Thanks again for the advice!

12. Instead of starting new shit im going with this thread..

My tent got holes all in it.. the first pic is just 1 side of the tent only.. these holes are perfectly circled as if a pin was ran thru it..

I feel like the tent company i purchased from purposly set me up..

The second pic is wgat my cat did trying to climb the tent & his back foot nails dug in to push his back leg off of.. (fuckin basterd)!!..

He doesnt go near the tent anymore cause hes not allowed on that floor of the house so i feel the tent company purposly set those perfect ass circle holes n it.. i can imagine the rest of the tent (the other 2 sides against the walls).. assholes!!

You_Doodle+_2019-03-11T14_11_57Z.jpg You_Doodle+_2019-03-11T14_11_07Z.jpg

13. I have pinholes in my brand new tent too. Like wth right

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  14. These tents may not be the best for flowering.. these pin size holes say it.. they can cause a plant to hermie if the light is intense enough for the plant to see it at all in the darkness, it could be bad

15. I’m flowering in it right now, about a week in. The room itself is almost light proof, i figured a combination of room and tent will provide sufficient darkenss

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. I flower in this tent anyway.. its the only tent i have.. i just harvested from this holie ass tent

17. Look, holes in my zipper too.. i can see light leaking out from inside.. (not getting full ppfd’s)
    [​IMG]