Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

questions about strains and smoking in general.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by seattleite93, Jun 19, 2018.

1. To start off with I've been smoking since 15 but VERY sparingly.. maybe a few times a year.. A few years ago I started smoking more (few times a month, and now a few times a week) since it is legal and very accessible where I live (on the outskirts/suburb area of seattle).

Now to my questions... I don't notice the difference between strains..

What I have tried that I actually remember: girl scout cookies, blue dream, sour diesel, mad dog, god's gift, lemon haze.. (just off the top of my head).

Now I vaguely remember the taste of some of them.. I remember having a bad trip on sour D one time smoking it late night alone.. But the other strains i have very little recollection.. and I've only smoked them in the past 1-2 years..

How do people talk about strains in so much detail with how it rates to them and how it makes them feel? Do I have to smoke each of those strains like 10 times a piece before I can differentiate? But I never buy the same strains because the options around me are LIMITLESS. There are thousands (maybe im exaggerating but I don't think so) of strains and like 20+ marijuana stores within 10 miles, 10+ within 5 miles.

I want to try as many decently rated strains as I can.. Should I just keep a journal?

Now for pricing and THC.. I recently bought this strain called god's gift from nebula gardens.. it was selling for 15 a g but the lady sold me 3.5g for 40 dollars because it's all i had in cash at the time. Now.. That was 16% THC.. right before that I smoked some mad dog which was 29% thc it was only 10$ a gram.. and it honestly got me a good high.. more intense than my 15$/g god's gift.

So is pricing just kind of just whatever has lower supply? like if its in the 12-18$ range is it all the same quality shit? I know they have stuff for like 6$ a g here but i assume it's not the same. I tend to pay a few more $ per g for a better strain but maybe that's a mistake

2. Hey, welcome to GC. I was glad to see your post. I've been smoking since the '60s and I don't feel the differences in strains like many say they do. I can't tell Indica from Sativa by their effects. I've long thought and occasionally said that the differences in strains was psychological, that if it was physiological then we could determine the strains by lab tests but we can't. Try researching to find a blind study showing smokers can tell what they're smoking by the effects, I've tried and only found one and it had inconclusive results no better than guesses. I grew a crop of pure Sativa indoors one year just so I could compare effects so I'm speaking from experience but there aren't too many people that will agree with me. When they prove the difference scientifically I'll believe it, is that too unreasonable of me?

About the potency, we can't tell the difference between smoking 16% and 22% although I'm sure there is a little. It takes a hit a fraction bigger to get the same dose but we can't judge the effects that accurately. You will do best by buying comparing price to potency but don't freak out over a couple of percent, you won't miss it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I can't tell much different. I actually can tell the different with a pure sativa. It usually makes me to want to get up and do something. Certain strains also give me the muchies much worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I agree 100%. Every strain I smoke has essentially the same effect on me, it's stimulating. I've smoked pure indica's and got up and worked. But, that is why I am a fan of cannabis, it alleviates the mental drag of pain, and simulates my body and mind, motivating me to do the things I need to get done.

However, a high CBN ratio will make my body feel like it's dragging, but I haven't had to deal with that since I was getting flower from Mexico they were letting cure in the sun, and the THC couldn't have been more than 8% to begin with. (at least that's my assumption, otherwise, how can you degrade the THC so badly?)

I can believe certain compounds may influence the effect of a strain (canabanoid ratio's, various terpenoids) But, it is hard to believe these effects are actually greatly influencing the high and making it vastly different for people unless something was extremely different.

I think of it like this, I can drink something 60% ABV, or 70% ABV, I'm still drinking something that is intoxicating me, and that slight difference is nill when speaking of efficacy. I would imagine we are not going to discern much of a difference with a 5% - 10% variation when we are speaking of something greater than 10% - 15% to start with.

I've had many people disagree with me, but many of them were the people that talked about seeing dragons and shit on hallucinogenics... so... it's hard to take 'em seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  5. To answer your questions, or at least, offer the answers I can give.

If you find a superior cannabis plant, you use it in your breeding program. If that breed becomes desired by a market, it becomes a staple and it's genetics are passed on, in variation, to dozens of strains.

Now, that's a simplification, but, it's makes the point. Of course this is all my assumption, but, it makes sense to me, because there is not a great level of variation in most of the cannabis I've used, even though cannabis itself can have many more flavor profiles than I see (many of which are pretty disgusting), and physical characteristics.

A breeder is gonna look for specific traits, and these traits are generally going to be market driven, which means, most breeders, though they are looking for something that sets them apart, are driving towards a similar goal, this is going to cause a bit of gentrification.

So, you can get your earthy cannabis, lemony cannabis, piney cannabis, etc. etc. but there isn't, at least in my opinion, some grand variation beyond that. Of course growth/production/time varies, but all of that is outside of what you are speaking of.

Now, does this mean different strains do the exact same thing for everyone? No, there could be a physiological reason for that, and there could be a placebo effect happening, in all likely hood there is both. Everyone is going to react different. I know as far as drugs go, they sure do not affect me in the ways people generally claim.

Now to price. Cannabis is a market driven commodity, and there are many factors deciding what the market wants. Flavor, appearance, smell, and THC/CBD/etc., content all affect this, and each individual will value these things in different ways.

I am a flavor guy. I do not care if it is 10% or 30%, if it has a good taste (I'm a fan of lemon and pine) I will buy it over another. Generally, pricing is based on demand, and most large business got that way by understanding people will pay more for something if they want it.

I live in a state where cannabis is illegal, I pay $8 / gram, but that's wholesale, and that's for legitimate strains. Much of the time they are sourced from Colorado/California distributors. Though the Cuban's did have a nice local "Blueberry" operation until they got busted. It's always weird seeing how much this cost in legal states though. But hey, a business has to make money I suppose, and simply profiting through volume won't generally buy that new BMW or pay the mortgage on that $250,000+ house.

• Like Like x 2
  6. thanks boys i thought i was going crazy by not seeing clear differences between strains that everyone likes to bring up. Some make me more tired/hungry and that's about it really lol. I think people might be chalking it up to random bad experiences and or good experiences that dont have much to do with the actual strain but more so how they're experiencing it (where they're smoking and what they're doing during it, etc).

Just a newbie's thoughts. I'm sure that's not entirely accurate either, maybe somewhere in the middle?

7. You were upsold over the counter. As far as genetic differences in flower, the only reliable method is word of mouth our ancestors have bestowed upon us very many, many moons ago...

8. i wasnt upsold. it was 15 for a gram and i got an eight for 40. I wanted an eight going in there lol. Also they have like 6-8$ shit too. This is a legitimate business with thousands of yelp reviews.

9. Yet the buyer's remorse you are experiencing somehow arbitrarily makes you believe the quality is less than what you deserve. Interesting, no?

10. I guess I don't see where OP is have buyer's remorse. He's more or less noting the potency doesn't seem to be related to price but he's not complaining about it

11. I don't really have any remorse, I was just more so curious of what dictates the price of certain strains. Whether it's quality or just simply supply/demand. maybe a bit of both.

• Like Like x 1
  12. From my experience in the retail world, price models are most often dictated by aggregate consumer base. Hence poverty dictates price the most accurately according to region.

Any person can feel like they didn't get their money's worth no matter how much goes spent for the transaction if they are unsatisfied with the purchase made. Supply and demand more or less dictates this happiness index.