Questions about some lights I have availabe

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by lightfiend, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Right now I am using some "Philips EnergySaver Reflector Flood BR30"

It is florescent and says, "This 16-watt bulb provides soft white light similar to a 65-watt R30 incandescent bulb while generating less heat."

It says 630 Lumens and I am using it for 3 small-medium sized pots (each with one or two seeds). I am not sure if it is enough.

I also have a bigger version of this that is 23w (90w equivalent) that emits 1200 lumens. These are prob better but I'd have to adjust my lamp's head piece a bit to get to fit in (which is a bit of a pain in the ass, but if it is for the best then I will do it).

I also have some "Sylvania Tru-AIM Covered Halogen" - 35W. It's a pretty tiny bulb. It also has two tiny prongs at the end and I am not sure exactly what they hook up into - sorry I am a bit of a light n00b (despite my username).

What would you do?

2. The first two lights are mentioned are "CFLs" if that makes any difference.

3. The rule of thumb is about 3000 lumens per plant or more MINIMUM.

That's just enough to get them to grow and develop through the vegetative stage (don't confuse stretch for real development).

Cheap 27 watt (100 watt equivalent) CFLs have 1400 lumens, so two of those is just barely enough to get one plant growing. You'd need more like 6-8 of them to get any real size out of the plant, and a dozen or so to get it through flowering.

Halogens are useless for growing. Too much heat, not enough light in the spectrum you need for veg or flowering.

Also separate your seeds. If two plants both start in one pot, at some point (not long) the roots will become too entangled to separate without killing the plants.

And two plants in the same pot will crowd each other out quickly.

Plus plant size is relative to root size, so two plants in one pot will only grow to be as big (combined) as one plant in that same pot.