Questions about NJ Medical Marijuana process.

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Baelron, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Hello

Last summer I was involved in a workman's comp injury, a metal stair collapsed under me, shattered a disk. Had several procedures done, physical therapy, and finally surgery. The surgeon told me I should qualify because I am over 50% disabled (waiting to go for testing for an exact determination but when i joked and said what 50% he told me a lot higher then that) and am now living in chronic pain and will be on painkillers for life.

He told me he has a doctor he can recommend to me, but from what I have been reading you need to see a doctor 4 times to qualify....and then i see the 30/60/90 day reviews required. Now how does that work, am I going to keep having to go back to see the doctor every 30/60/90 days forever? I know the license/card for $100 is good for 2 years.

It is a lot of money to get approved but would be nice to not have to worry about getting arrested because I own pot.

Another question...I live in NJ, but own a little place in the Pocono mountains of Pa. Would I have to apply for a license in Pa as well, or having my NJ License be good for transporting my medicine with me when i head there for a weekend?

Thank you

Baelron

2. Good Morning,

I just went through the NJ MMJ card process a couple months ago so I will try to help the best I can!

There are plenty of doctors who can recommend you in the state, as long as they are registered to recommend medical marijuana. If you have a chronic pain disorder, that will be enough to qualify under chronic pain of a visceral origin (my qualifying condition was anxiety, and even that the doctor barely even glanced at the records)

I did have to go for the four appointments to establish the bona fide doctor patient relationship, those 4 visits cost be roughly $430. After the fourth visit, I was given my patient number and registered with the state. It took 3 weeks for the state to approve me, and then I paid the $100 fee to the state for my card for 2 years. 3 business days later, my card came in the mail. The whole process took just under 2 months for me from my first appointment to receiving my card. I have been to two of the six dispensaries in the state (Curaleaf & Compassionate Care Foundation) and sampled a good amount of strains so far, so any questions ask away and I am happy to help.

The way the law is written currently, you need to go back to the doc who recommended medical cannabis to you every 90 days to re certify your recommendation, which will cost another $100-$130. It is pricey but being legal has been such a great feeling that it was very worth it to me.

I would imagine you need to be a resident of the state you are applying for your medical marijuana license, although that could differ by state. I would imagine if your license is in NJ then you will only be able to get the card there, and technically can't take it with you to PA as it is illegal to cross state lines with your meds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thanks, yeah I was guessing the interstate travel could be a pita. A friend living in Philly said they changed the laws in the city, under a quarter ounce if you get caught with it is like a $100 fine, no arrest so that is nice...hopefully the state will follow on that law.

Ok, that makes sense now on the followups, every 90 days isn't so bad, having to go every month and fork out a $100 or so dollars is costly..every 3 months isn't so bad...wish it was like in California.

But thank you for your help, now the process is a little clearer.

4. In Philly it is actually under 30 grams is a $25 fine, and $100 fine if you are caught smoking in public, I went to a string of protests that helped lead to decriminalization in the city called Smoke Down Philly. Other parts of the state have passed decrim measures as well, but it is probably best to just bring some of your cannabis to that house and just leave it there for when you visit rather than traveling back and forth with it.

Jersey will eventually do away with the 90 day followups, hopefully making it one or two follow ups per year. I am going to my first follow up appt next month

• Like Like x 1
  5. You are Awesome for being part of the movement! I know we all have high hopes for Gov Murphy, would be nice to see marijuana legal for everyone. Yeah I would leave some up at my place in a jar so the mice don't get it lol. 3 weeks I go back to see my surgeon and he will write his letter of recomendation he said he know's a doctor to refer me to (hopefully one that isn't too expensive and accepts credit cards) I look forward to being able to cut back or out the painkillers they are prescribing me when I know marijuana eases my pain faster then waiting an hour for a pill to kick in. Life would be better.

thanks again

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you! It was a crazy time, and then more crazy times with the Philly Smoke Session's before they got busted April 2017...

And you are right about Murphy, I talked to so many people about voting for him and while I am happy medical was slightly expanded, I am a little annoyed by them trying to tie the medical expansion bill to the rec bill. Because of that the vote on the bill is getting pushed past the budget deadline of June 30th so could be another few months before any vote happens on the bill, when they really should have introduced separate rec and med bills as the med bill has a lot of support while there is less for the rec bill.

And best of luck with getting your card. If you want the info on my doc send me a message, he has a few locations in the state and is the doctor who writes the most recommendations in the state

• Like Like x 1
  7. I sent you a pm