Questions About My First Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by ProdByProdigy, May 7, 2016.

1. I'm going to start growing my own supply. I smoke a lot so I'm looking for the highest yield I can get. I plan to purchase seeds soon & plant them any time from late May to early June. I'll be growing outside in Fox Farms soil, using Fox Farm nutes. I live in upstate NY, the temps right now are around 60-70•F. Once summer comes temps will be anywhere from 70 to mid 90s•F. In flowering months (sep-oct) it dips down to around 40 - 50•F. My questions are: Are these temps okay? What strain would be potent & have high yields with a 3 month veg, & 1-2 months flower? How do I avoid bud rot & spider mites? What other problems can I encounter? How much am I most likely going to yield? Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

2. I'm on my first grow as well but I have learned soooo much already! You will too, as your first grow is always the one that has you gain the most experience & knowledge. So I'm assuming you plan to grow outdoors since you stated your temps. I'm indoor however, I'm in soil & both using Fox Farms soil & Nutes. Temperatures are okay, however do your research on strains and make sure it is COLD HARDY. Just to name a few that match those types would be Blue cheese, Amnesia Lemon, Blue mammoth, and LSD. all of these are cold hardy, high yield & 9-12 weeks flower. The Veg is all up to you so in reality you can veg for only 4 weeks to 12. it's all up to you. Of course, longer veg=bigger yield so just plan out space & time and things like that. Avoid bud rot by mixing extra perlite in the soil for better drainage and I highly recommend smart pots for the best aeration. Spider mites, I don't have a problem with because my environment is controlled. My tent is a no critters allowed zone. how ever as long as you check up on your plant every day & keep an eye out for them you shouldn't have a problem. to avoid gnats just put about 2 inch perlite cap over your soil (they're attracted to the earthworm castings in the soil) Let's say you carry out with your 3 month veg plan, you should yield anywhere from 300-500 g's. If you give your plants the room to grow, they will. However when transplanting it's best to jump up from a 1 gal to a 3, 5 gal to a 7 gal, etc. big jumps mean it can take longer for your plant to establish a root system. Sorry if I didn't cover everything, hope this helps and good luck with your grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. oh!!! and other thing Fox Farms soil is packed with Nutes already so you should NOT be feeding them anything but water of 6.4-6.7 ph until 3rd-4th week of veg!!!! and when you do use 1/4 of dosage. Ok now I'm done I promise! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. #4 ProdByProdigy, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Thanks for the reply! You've given me lots of good info!

I just got together the funds for my seeds, soil & nutes. Are you using ocean forrest? If so, did you use a different soil for your seedlings? I hear OF has a tendency to burn seedlings.

I'm going to be growing 1x Seedsman White Widow, 1x Royal Queen Seeds Critical, 3x Dutch Passion Durban Poison, 1x Seedsman Northern Lights & 1x Female Seeds AK-47 Auto-Flower.

I'm gonna veg them out as long as I can. If i plant in late May, they'll veg for a good 2/2.5 months & then flower for another 2/2.5. I'm aiming for at least 56 grams per plant.

My main concerns are spider mites, bud rot/mold, & my neighbors. I'm not sure how I'm going to hide my plants. I have no fence in my backyard & one of my neighbors has a direct view of where I'm planning to put them. He also has a tree house with an even better view. I'm thinking of planting a bunch of tomato plants in my yard.

Is it okay to plant in a 10 gal pot & never transplant? Also, how can I control the amount of time in veg?

EDIT: Unfortunately, I have to order from Crop King Seeds because they accept PayPal & no one else does. So I can't get the strains I was originally going to.