Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Questions About Making Cannabutter/edibles For The First Time

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Lsdmthc00, May 30, 2014.

1. I'm going to be making cannabutter this weekend for edibles, and I just have a few questions. I've never made edibles before.
    I have a half ounce of decent quality mids(smells and tastes good, lots of orange hairs, not a lot of crystals but a good amount for mids)

About how many 'servings' will that give me? I have a pretty high tolerance, but I was just planning on eating half of a cookie or whatever I end up making, and seeing how that affects me and then take more as needed.

I'm going to be using a crock pot, and I've read lots of stuff on recarbing the weed, and clarifying the butter, will these things really impact the potency and quality of the cannabutter?

Also, I haven't found a lot of good advice on using a crock pot, so advice on that would be helpful! The reason I'm choosing to use a crock pot is because I've heard really good things about using them, and that it's easier and can make it more potent.

About how much butter will I need?

Do I have to add water? I've been seeing a lot of mixed answers in my research.

I'm thinking about making cookies and rice crispy treats. The cookies would probably be peanut butter double chocolate chip. Do I just use the same amount of butter that are in the recipes, or do I need to add more?

If anyone has any other good recipes for edibles that aren't brownies feel free to share!
    Thanks

2. #2 seanrath, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
    In my opinion the stove works great. The best way I've found to make butter I got out of the high times official cannabis cook book. It's the most potent butter of all methods I've tried. Its not about simmering for the longest time possible up to 24 hrs like many suggest. It's about heating cooling and reheating.the cooling and reheating process increases potency .using simmering/boiling water is the only method I use to infuse oil and butter, water boils at 212 degrees farenhite 100 Celsius a Tempeture that activates but can never burn THC.

Step 1: boil weed in straight water for one hour, use plenty of water half you stock pot sould be fine. this will activate the THC but THC needs a fat cell like butter to bind too, so you will not loose any in the straight H20. Boil it 1 hr.

Step 2: add butter (add 10 grams of bud to water in step 1 per stick of butter, 40 grams per pound of butter/80-100 grams of leaf per pound) allow to simmer an additional hour. so bud has simmered 2 hrs at this point.

Step 3: allow to cool to room temp for about an hour, (30-45 mins in fridge)

Step 4: return to simmer for another hour (3RD hour of simmering )
    Cool once more to room temp
    step 5: simmer for the 4th and final hour...

Last step is to strain butter and water mixture through a mesh strain lined with cheese cloth into a glass bowl or container for refrigeration allow butter to solidify for 24 hrs in the fridge and separate solid butter from the top. Discard of water at the base of the bowl... best way to make butter period, no copy and paste, my method hand typed, believe me it works

3. The best recipe in my opinion is BadKat's CannaPharm. It is important to follow the recipe carefully with good attention to detail. Think of it as a science project.

http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/742831-badkats-cannapharm-medical-grade-oil-cannabis-capsules-uv-glowing-hash-candy-canna-bombs-more.html

For my own personal tolerance, 1/2oz would make somewhere between 14-56 edible doses, depending on how strong an effect I wanted that day. Your mileage may vary. Always best to start with a lower dose and then increase as needed.