Questions about lighting

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Hamson, May 27, 2012.

1. Hey GC
    I got my seeds for my first grow in the mail on thursday (6 DNA genetics L.A Confidential) and immediately germinated them. After soking in water for about a day and beeing between a moist paper towel for a day they all popped;) . So I planted them in these tiny pots 1 day ago, so there isn't anything above ground yet. I dont have a light set up yet I just let them get a litte sunlight. I own a 400w hps but I dont think I should use it for a few weeks right? I also have a 20w light. Should I already put them under the 20w?If I do how far away from the plants should it be?Or is sunlight enough?(its quite cloudy so theres not that much sunlight. When should I expect to see something above ground?
    P.s I think I overwatered them a bit..the soil was drenched and still is. I later read that this is bad.. Should I be worried?
    I thank everyone who takes the time to help me out

2. My understanding from reading is this.

1) make sure the cup/cups with the seeds inside are moist and covered with plastic or something to keep the humidity/water inside......

2) keep under 24 hours of light and it seems that a smaller amount of light would be fine but keep it close to the plant? Gives the plant something to reach for? Once you see it pop out and see some leaves ... put it on 18/6 light cycle?

I am just posting this to see if my own understanding is correct..... this way it solidifies in my mind.

3. [quote name='"cobrakhan5"']My understanding from reading is this.

1) make sure the cup/cups with the seeds inside are moist and covered with plastic or something to keep the humidity/water inside......

2) keep under 24 hours of light and it seems that a smaller amount of light would be fine but keep it close to the plant? Gives the plant something to reach for? Once you see it pop out and see some leaves ... put it on 18/6 light cycle?

I am just posting this to see if my own understanding is correct..... this way it solidifies in my mind.[/quote]

You will be fine to put your small light close to them with cling film over them to keep humidity like cobra says. After you start seeing your first and second set of true leaves you can can put your hps over them but make sure you keep it about 30 inches away to start with an gradually move it closer, but not to close. If its to hot for your hand it's to hot for your plants. If your soil seems soggy don't water it. If you don't already have perlite mixed in to it I suggest mixing some in when you transplant to bigger pots. You should see signs of life after two or three days. Good luck and hope this helps

4. Sounds good to me...;)

Your 400w will work just fine given it's not to close, though you could certainly use the 20w(cfl?) to save some electricity for the first couple days.

I usually use some kind of humidity dome while waiting for them to pop, but in your case with the over-watering, i'd go without it until your medium is back to a better moisture level. You said your pots are tiny so just keep an eye on them so they don't dry more than necessary. I severely over-watered my soil when germing one time, it still popped, but it took forever for the soil to dry out. This resulted in a droopy mess of a seedling for the first few days, but it turned out just fine.

Be patient while the seeds do their thing, could take a week. But 1-3 days is typical in my experience.

5. Thanks a lot for the help guys. I got em under my 400w now about 2 feet away..To close to far? Im trying to be very delicate

6. [quote name='"Hamson"']Thanks a lot for the help guys. I got em under my 400w now about 2 feet away..To close to far? Im trying to be very delicate[/quote]

Have they shown thro the soil mate? If not you should back that light off until you have true leaves if you want to be delicate. Only put it closer after a good 4 or so days growth. I kept my 400w metal halide about 3 feet away for the first week an then gradually lowered it little by little... I'm now on day 13 and it's lowered to about 20 inches above the tops of my girls

7. I have just checked back on my written journal and I put my seeds in to soil 16 days ago and left them in darkness for 3 days before i turned my lights on with domes covering the small seedlings...