Questions about grow style and other stuff

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Emerica6996, Aug 1, 2010.

1. I'm going to be starting my first grow in the next months with a friend of mine, and I'll be starting out with making my own grow box. It's dimensions (LxWxH) are going to be ~4.5'x2.25'x3', and the height may be changed depending if I grow srcog or not. There will also be a divider in the middle so I can have two separate grow areas, both 2.25'x2.25'.I'll most likely be starting with Miracle-Gro Organic potting soil, with some organic nutes that I haven't decided on yet.

My questions are:
    How does one introduce non-liquid nutes into soil, dissolve them into water? Are they all water soluble?
    Does a soil probe Ph meter work for measuring water Ph, or can it not read it properly?
    Since I will be using Miracle-Gro soil, will I need to even buy veg nutes since by 3-4 weeks I'll be flowering?
    Most important of all, given my space available in my grow box, should I grow scrog, or should I grow straight up with discretionary topping?
    Which will result in more bud per time spent growing?

I'm going to build my box around the method of growing I decide is best, so I need to know the method before I even start.

Thank you for reading!

EDIT: Here's a picture of my design that I was brain storming.
    [​IMG]

2. a....add more height...you wont regret.....scrog..to max out yeild and keep em low...with 3 foot high you have pot ..8inch....light...4 inch.....so your down to growin a less than 2 foot plant depending on how far you keep your lights...i would get a ho 2foot 4bulb t5 for veg....they kick ass and low heat...would just fit...no mg nutes..get foxfarm...good and easy...give your plants what they need...the soil prob is usless..get a liquid one till you can buy a decent ph meter....if you can ..don't use mg soil....this feeds your plants a steady stream of nutes for 3 plus months weather they need it or not....water..very inportant..i use ro...if you have to use mg soil get perlite and peatmoss and mix 1/3 each....to improve drainage and mellow the mg nutes...its not buds for time spent...the battle is buds per square foot....i suggest scrog...2 plant...will post picture of mine...if that looks good them pm me anytime..dont mind helpin i you're willin' to work at it.......research...research...research.....forum on scrog...lst...supercropping...grow journals similar to what you wanna do...believe me....its way better to learn from other peoples fuck ups..lol...its way better to put off your grow and get everything you would need then do it right...i know:rolleyes: practice on bag seeds ...try germin' some....try plantin' some...nothing teaches like doing...practice lst..shit...their bag seeds....since theres 2 of ya you can save faster...send your buddy to the plasma bank a couple times...a week....all i can say...before starting the grow make sure he's a solid bro...this has fucked up more than one grow and made lifelong enemies of former best buds
    ok...i top.....lst.....and supercrop my plants for scrog
    [​IMG]

its like 2 x 3.....day 18 from the flip...2 plant....hopin' for 4 zips:hello:good luck any way ya go....just my duece

3. Thanks for the reply! I've already done quite a bit of research about which soil/nutes to get, the problem is that it is a little more money than I'd like to spend at this point in time. To get FFOF here along with nutes, it would be around 100+ dollars for everything i need, as opposed to about 25 with the other method of MG organic soil + organic nutes from Meijer. There is a hydroponic store about 20 minutes away from me that I'm going to check out, but I'm just going to set the budget low for bag seed + first grow.

About the height issue, I've read most scrog screens are set between 8-12 inches above that plant. Will the buds really grow a foot+ past the screen? Most videos of scrogs ive seen show the buds about 5-8 inches above the screen.

4. No love? Bump. Feel free to reply even if your only know one answer!

5. Don't go with the Miracle Grow Organic Soil. I started off my grow with it and my plants were stunted after the first week. They pretty much had zero growth for around 2 weeks. I think it is because Miracle Grow soils aren't pH balanced like FFOF. I switched to FFOF and now my plants are doing great. Also if you are on a budget and don't want to spend so much on the FF nutes. Then just buy them as you need them if you have a hydro store you can go get them at locally. You don't need the Grow Big for at least a few weeks after you start, and you don't need the Tiger Bloom until you start flowering. You can just buy the Big Bloom to start off with, and spread out the cost. Soil and nutes is the one area that you don't want to skimp on the money. Those with lights are going to directly influence how fast and how well your plants grow.

6. Everyone has different ways they like the most, Some is scrog and others sog.

Read up on both and you try to decide what you would like best or try both and decide.

I like sog.

Proper soil in the beginning will allow for the plants to grow for the 1st 3 weeks to a month with only needing to be watered and no nutes

I veg till mine hit around 12" inches before flipping to 12/12 (approx 4 weeks) and during that time I only used nutes 2 times

7. Thanks for the response, +rep. I'm pretty much sold on scrog, which I believe needs to be veg'd a little bit longer. I'll probably buy some veg nutes just in case I want to use them starting the 3rd week of growth.

8. the two things in never get on the cheap......medium and beans...for bagseed learning experiance its cool......you will see for yourself and i gurantee next grow you will get nutes:smoking:

9. You can get a Veg nute thats I use at Home Depot, Its Vigoro 10-10-10 all purpose and you dont have to use alot. The bottle says use 1/2 cap full for 2 gallons but I used 1/2 for 5 gallon to start and then increased it to 1/2 per 3 gallons and it made my plants grow great