Questions about drying and Curing?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Medicinal-Tommy, Aug 5, 2009.

1. The only room I have to dry my buds in is about 85 degrees. So my buds have dried in a little over 2 days. I cut them down to just the buds. Everything I have read says to wait until the stems crack before curing them. Well my buds seem to be very dry, a little moist on the inside but very dry on the outside. So I decided to pop them into jars already. I hope I did not jump the gun. Any ideas on what I should do at this point would be helpful.

What I have is slightly moist buds trimmed all the way down. They are sitting in jars, with little or no smell, they actually smell like pine needles, very disappointing. I am praying this curing in the jars, brings back the smell. and at least makes them dank enough to actually enjoy. I worked so hard and I am stumped at this point.

2. To lengthen drying time its best to leave the buds on the stem, or for that matter leave the whole plant together (just cut the stem at base of soil). The moisture on the inside of the buds will move outward after they have been in the jar for a short time, so you need to make sure there not still too wet to mold. And as long as there not too dry they will still cure and the smell/taste should get better.

3. Hey there glad to hear you already harvested this year =). Well one of two things could happen to your stash. You said it is still a little moist which could possibly cause mold or mildew to grow in the jars. One of two things means either your weed will start to smell like weed after it cures for a little while or it will start to smell like ammonia or possibly a musky mildewy smell. If this is the case you absolutely need to find the cause and origin and quarantine the pieces immediately. If you don't your stash will rot. Moist/Wet/Damp organic material is a breeding ground for mildews and molds. Just pay extra attention during the curing process and good luck with it.

4. Thanks for the fast response, I am very concerned about the way they smell in the jars right now, only had em in the jars for about 2 hours and they smell like wet grass right now, should I pull them back out of the jars until they are really dry then start the cure over again. I feel like a big dummy and I dont want my weed smelling like I just mowed the lawn. Here are some pics if that will help any.

Attached Files:

5. You could always throw them in a paper bag for a day or so and see if the middle dries out a bit more.

6. So you think a paper bag for a day or 2, then back into the jars for a week, with some burping. I actually put all the buds into a empty drawer where it is really dark and cool in the room with the drawer, would that be better than the paper bag?

7. i know this won't help this is more of a comment, then a suggestion.
    Still looks like some pretty dank bud, my opinion the smell is great but, I am sure you'd still get pretty baked:rolleyes:
    Nice yield:smoking:

8. I've found a paper bag helps draw the moisture out, desk drawer...I don't know about that.

But yeah, that would be what I would do if I were in your situation. Paper bag for a day or two, and then into the jars and keep a watchful eye on moisture level.

9. Ok I put everything into a paper bag, and I folded the bag closed. Now my buds are in a sandwich bag it my closet. The paperbag is folded closed just like I was going to bring it to lunch at school. In 2 days I plan on jarring them for about a week, burping the jar at least once a day for 15 minutes. Or until I see major sweating occur.

Boy oh Boy, I thought all I had to do was grow some buds, this drying part seems to be more complicated than the growing part.

10. sounds good to me man, just check for the stems to pop after the paper bag, then stick them back in the jars, they will seem really dry, but if cured right it will come back out, espescially your smell, Everytime I have ever seen bud dried and cured it always loses its smell till its cured properly. Every time. No need to panic. Good luck man.

11. Yeah I just watched J. Cervantes Ultimate Grow. It was really helpful watching the way their buds looked prior to going into the jars for curing. On the video, the buds looked super dry and actually terrible compared to how my buds look. So I am not so depressed. I am going to leave mine in the paper bag for 2 more days, or until I hear my stems crack in half. Then in the jars they go. Smell will come back, and potency. Thanks guys

12. Correcto! haha. Just let me know how it comes out after about a week to two weeks in the jar. Good luck, nice bud shots btw!

13. dont put them back in a jar until fully dry. Sometimes they feel dry then you bring them in a cooler room let them sit a few hours and bam they seem wet again. Never less than 5 days i find and then dont forget to open the jar periodicly

14. Awesome you guys are on it. I'm not putting them in a jar until they snap. I have them all in a paper bag, since I cannot hang them any longer. The paper bag is closed. And I will check in about 2 more days.

15. good to hear. Paper bag works well if already somewhat dry.
    I have told my wife never to buy plastic bags again but then the kids need there snacks lol. I have seen dealers stuff semiwet bud in plastic over and over again and seen that mold starting
    Putting in a jar is ideal but not til its dry

16. I dried my buds for a couple more days, now I have had them in jars for about 3 days, and my bud still smells like hay, what can I do.